Chapter 17: Comfort.

(Earth pov)

As Hibiki rested on his hands and knees, tears hitting the floor as he quietly mumbled to himself, I reached out a hand and put it on his arm.

I heard this helps make people feel better. Companionship.

Hibiki's sobs didn't stop, though they did decrease in volume by 13%.

"If it is any consolation Hibiki Okida, I also feel responsible for his fate. Do not feel the blame is yours to bear alone."

"D-don't." Hibiki said quietly, "Don't tell me it isn't my burden. Don't try tell me everything will work out. I killed him Earth. I killed my partner."

"That is not the...."

"It is!" he shouted, his voice cracked with sadness, "If I had paid more attention, if I had got there quicker, Rags would still be alive!"

"Rags may not be dead." I noted.

"You don't understand Earth. SOL Tech's higher ups are just as ruthless as the Hanoi. Now they have Rags, they will not let him live. They'll use his data for their own purposes." Hibiki said, "And that's all my fault."

"I understand how you feel. And I know that you feel trapped. But there are people and ignis who want to help you, and who want to show you you are not to blame."

Hibiki looked at me with an unreadable expression and I just nodded.

"Earth. Why are you doing this?" he said, "Why are you trying to make me feel better about my own actions."

"Is that not what you did to Spectre? And Yusaku Fujiki, and Kusanagi Jin?" I asked.

Hibiki paused, unsure of how to react. I did not blame him, the mix of grief and confusion in his heart was very clear.

"I am sorry. I should not have used your own actions against you as a show of care. I realise I have made it more difficult." I said, removing my hand.

*Knock Knock*

I turned towards the door in confusion as the sound caught my attention.

Odd, I hadn't contacted Aoi Zaizen yet, did Aqua tell her what happened?

Hibiki slowly got up and wiped his eyes, taking a deep breath before walking to the door slowly and opening it a crack.

"You?" he said in confusion and shock, his voice still shaky.

As the door opened, Spectre walked in, closing the door behind him and looking in concern at the teen.

"S-spectre, what are you d-doing here?"

"Because Hibiki, friends are there when they are needed."

"H-huh?"

"Look, it is hard for me to admit this to anyone, especially you. But I was thinking about what you said on the bridge. And though my loyalties still lie with Master Ryoken, I have seen that I want to take your offer of friendship."

Spectre put a hand around Hibiki's back and looked the teen in the eye.

"So please, feel you can count on me in this time."

I rose from the duel disc to my full height.

"That is a good judgement Spectre. Thank you for your decision."

(No pov)

Spectre looked up at Earth and the ignis' eyes met with the Hanoi's.

Spectre: Earth Ignis. I didn't know you were acquainted with Hibiki as well.