Endgame Part 1

We all stood around the lake, Steve's hand squeezing mine tightly.

"I was wrong about him." He mumbled to me.

I leaned my head on his shoulder, "He changed.... we all did."

Everyone slowly made their way inside, and on with their lives. Steve agreed to return the stones, but he had a week to prepare. The week was filled with him showering me in gifts, and positive words about how much he loves me. I didn't think much of it, he always worried about things going wrong. To me this was all his just in case.

When Sunday came around Steve had to go talk to Bucky. He was gone for almost the entire day, and when he came back it almost looked like he had been crying.

"Steve, what happened?" I jumped up from my spot on the couch and wrapped my arms around him.

He was stiff, but hugged me back.

"Buck and I just started arguing, and it got a little heated."

He took a deep breath before removing himself from me.

"What's for dinner?"

I smiled at his change in demeanor. "I was gonna order pizza, is that ok?"

He nodded his head, and we went our separate ways. When dinner arrived we cuddled up on the couch, and watched my favorite movie.

The next day was hard for Steve. He was worrying too much, and it was starting to stress me out.

"Its going to be fine Steve." I placed a hand on his shoulder, but he wouldn't look at me.

The ride to Ton- Peppers was silent. Steve still refused to look me in the eye, and I didn't know what was going on anymore. I stood next to Bucky as he stepped into the platform.

"Come back in one piece?"

He smiled at me, but it didn't reach his eyes. "Happy one year baby."

I had totally forgotten it was our one year today. Everything's gone by so fast.

A large grin made its way on my face, "Happy one year. Now get going so we can celebrate."

A look of guilt washed over his face, but it went unnoticed by me. I was too busy getting excited to finally propose. I know it's normally for the man, but I had found the perfect ring for Steve a few months ago. Only Bucky knew I had it, and he could see the excitement washing over my face of Steve closed his helmet. A minute passed, and he wasn't back.

"Where is he Bruce?"

He seemed panicked as he tried to get Steve back.

"He- he went right by us."

I started to tap my foot, and Bucky grabbed my hand.

"Get him back."

After a few more seconds Bruce looked up at me.

"I'm sorry y/n."

My heart shattered as Bucky gripped my hand tighter, and turned my attention to an old man sitting on a bench. I closed my eyes and a few tears slipped down my face.

"I'm sorry doll."

Sam had walked over, and came back with Steve's shield. He looked at me with a sad smile.

"You should go talk to him."

I let go of Bucky's hand, and slowly walked over to Steve. He looked over when he saw me, and his smile dropped.

"At least you're in one piece." I tried to jock, but it fell short.

I turned my gaze to his hand that was resting on his leg.

He was married.

More tears spilled down my face, as I realized what he had done.

"Y/n-"

I cut him off, "This is what you and Bucky were fighting about."

It wasn't a question, because I knew the answer.

"Peggy-"

I cut him off yet again, "I have a ring y'know."

This caught his attention.

"I was gonna ask when you got back, but I see someone beat me too it." I tried to fight the newest wave of tears, "I'm happy for you Steve, but... You could've warned me so I didn't spend a year falling in love with you."

He looked down the ring on his finger, and sighed.

"I had to y/n. I've loved her since the 40s, and this was my chance. I know it's selfish, but I've given everything I could." He looked back at me, "I wanted to be selfish just this once."

"I hope you're happy, really I do." I didn't want to hear anymore, so I walked away.

The tears I were holding back, now streaming down my face as Bucky took me into a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Y/n." He mumbled, "I told him to stay, but he wouldn't listen. I'm sorry."

He kept me held right as I sobbed onto his chest.

I will always hate Steve for leaving Bucky :)