Inspection

Demiurge was scanning through a huge pile of documents.

To fulfill Ainz-sama's wishes, he has to make sure that this diplomatic mission is to be successful; no, perfect, in every sense and form.

"Mm... trade agreements, culture exchange, there's a lot of things to deal with here."

Demiurge took out the ceasefire agreement document Ainz handed to him a few hours ago.

"It seems everything is settled. I should head out right now."

<Demiurge.>

<Ainz-sama, is there anything you need?>

A moment of silence was heard.

<Ah, yes. Please take Cocytus with you. It'll be most ideal if at least two people go across rather than one.>

<Do I have to notify him?>

<No need, Demiurge. I have already done so.>

Demiurge rolled up the ceasefire agreement and leaned on the desk.

<I understand, Ainz-sama. Where should we meet up?>

<Just go to the portal. Cocytus should be there by now.>

<I understand, Ainz-sama. I will head there now.>

<Umu.>

The <<Message>> cut short.

Demiurge approached the pile of documents he just sorted out and put them all into a small bag. He left the room with haste.

***

"Demiurge, you came."

Cocytus was standing in front of the portal, wielding his silver halberd.

"Yo."

Demiurge descended from the sky in his frog demon form. Landing, he immediately began to assume a more humanoid appearance.

Demiurge looked around his surroundings. The portal seemed a lot more fortified. Basic stone structures that acted as a gate enveloped the entire portal, and a few lizardmen were standing guard atop the two towers situated on both sides of the gate. It wasn't the grandest thing, but it was at least more or less utilitarian.

"Brought any subordinates?"

Cocytus shook his head.

"Ainz-sama didn't specify, so I assumed that he didn't want me to bring any."

Demiurge rubbed his chin.

"What's with the gate guards then?"

"They were temporarily assigned by Ainz-sama. He told me that he'll arrange for something better when time allows it."

"I see. I brought the hanzos I borrowed from Ainz-sama just in case."

Cocytus merely nodded.

The two stared at the portal.

"Hey, you ever wondered?"

Cocytus turned his head.

"Yes?"

"You ever wondered if this portal's going to even last that long?"

Cocytus looked back at the portal.

"I can't say for sure. But we should use it to the best of our ability while it still holds."

"I agree."