Lurking in the Trees

Saluso let out a big sigh.

He didn't expect to get this type of mission. No way.

He was only skilled at being fast. The compromise includes him being a horrible explorer and warrior. Things like scouting missions were the few things he could excel in.

And now, there's a mission to investigate that "thing" he and his colleagues encountered a few days earlier?

What a headache.

Zerion slapped him in the back.

"No worries, dude. If things go haywire, you got us!"

Fafsu supported. "Yeah. And since you're sooooo fast, you could just run away from the situation, right?"

Saluso shot a death glare at Fafsu. He shuffled back into position.

Other than his speed, Saluso was well-known for his somewhat intimidating looks. Zerion and Fafsu were used to it but would still jump by instinct when he either glared or got angry at them.

He looked behind him. Other than scouting colleagues, Sharyusu added lizardmen to his ranks for the sake of safety. In total, including Zerion and Fafsu there were 14 lizardmen under his command. Sure, he was considered to be a pretty good leader, but all he could do was run away from dire situations.

I hope things don't turn out too bad on the other side.

After a long trek, the group arrived at the portal.

The other lizardmen were shocked and remarked at the thing.

"Ehhhh... so this is the portal you three found?"

"It looks so weird."

"Definitely out of this world."

Groaaannn...

Saluso turned around and raised his spear, gathering everyone's attention.

"Fellow lizardmen! From here we step out of our homeland, the lake, into unknown territory. We do not know what is on the other side or what we may encounter. Heck, we don't know if this is even a portal or not, but remain vigilant! Once we find out!, we shall gloriously report back to the higher-ups to demonstrate our loyalty towards the Sorcerer Kingdom!"

All lizardmen cheered except Zerion and Fafsu, who gave him looks of doubt.

Saluso glared at the two. "What's with those expressions, you two?"

Zerion and Fafsu shrugged.

"Aren't we just investigating whatever this 'portal' is? Or whether it's even a 'portal' to begin with?"

"Yeah, we're not entering it right?"

Saluso took out the wooden tablet Sharyusu gave him.

***

[A few hours ago]

Sharyusu handed Saluso a wooden tablet as he sat in front of him. He skimmed through the words and felt a bit surprised.

"Your next task. It's a direct order from Cocytus-sama. He told me to choose the best candidates for this job."

[Mission Type: Investigation]

Details: Investigate the so-called 'portal' founded in the domain of the Great Lake thoroughly. Penalty: Cutting corners are not tolerated, and punishment shall await those who do so. What type of punishment depends on the severity of the offense.

Approved by: Cocytus

"Um ... I didn't read this incorrectly, right?"

Sharyusu shook his head. "It's exactly as it says. I want you and your fellow colleagues to investigate the 'portal' since you were the ones who encountered it first."