The "Hero's" Short Journey II

[In some parts of this chapter, Pandora's Actor and Narberal will be addressed as Momon and Nabe. Please keep that in mind.]

The five walked towards the gate in awkward silence.

Not one was willing to speak up. John attempted to break the silence by trying to say something, but the mere fact that one of the world's few strongest adamantite-cass adventurers are escorting him, and the additional notion that he thinks himself as nothing but a manager of some "meager" mercantile company running originally in the former Re-Estize kingdom, made him shudder with a slight sense of fear.

Cun was the complete opposite, however, despite the fact that he didn't break the silence. All he did was watch in awe at the two, taking down unrecognizable notes and drooling every once in a while.

Momon looked at him confused as Nabe looked at him with slight disgust.

As the gate appeared in their sights, John decided to break the silence once and for all.

"The carriages we possess are over there. It seems that my men have already traded the required goods and are ready to depart at my command."

Momon looked at the line of caravans, with the men seemingly waving towards them.

"I see. So these are the caravans we have to defend?"

John chuckled. "Indeed so, Momon-dono. They aren't too much, no?"

Momon glanced back at the caravans.

"We can handle it."

Nabe merely nodded in response.

John put his hands together. "Thank you. And for the pay? It seems we haven't discussed about it yet, so I would like to get that out of the way as soon as possible."

Momon rubbed his chin.

"Just get us into the Slane Theocracy. That alone should suffice."

John was seemingly shocked.

"Just entering? I-I think that's a bit less in terms of pay, Momon-dono. Maybe we should give you something more..."

Momon's eyes gleamed.

"Entering is enough."

John took a quick glance at Nabe, seemingly impatient. He gave a sigh.

"I understand. I'll try to leverage with the border guards on the matter."

Momon and Nabe nodded in agreement.

They soon approached the caravans, with many of John's men watching the two adventurers in awe. John led them to the biggest caravan in the party and flipped open the curtains.

"I hope this hospitality is more than good enough."

Nabe looked around the space and gave a nod of approval.

Momon responded promptly.

"Then, if you'll excuse us..."

The two entered without hesitation, following John, Cun and two other men holding valuable trading goods.

They all sat down, with Nabe and Momon on the left and John, Cun, on the right. The two men that just entered put down the goods and left appropriately.

Cun seemed to be on the brink of bursting with excitement. John slapped him in the head.

"Don't do anything crazy, boy. You hear me?"

Cun nodded frantically and kept to himself. Momon chuckled.

The caravan soon moved, with the others behind following suit. A quick inspection check on the border gates was conducted as one of the demihuman inspectioners entered John's caravan.