What Lies Beyond

Ainz was spending all the time he could in the slime bath.

He had nothing much to do right now, after all. The Re-Estize kingdom has been wiped off from the world map, and the majority of the cleanup work had been already handled by the Floor Guardians and his subordinates residing in the Tomb of Nazarick. It was definitely a peaceful time for him now.

No more bullshitting. No more work. Just a time of temporary peace.

Ahhhh, this is bliss. I wished that every day was like this. 

Ainz immersed himself in the bath as the slimes cleaned every nook and cranny of his skeletal body.

<<Message>> broke his train of thought.

<Ainz-sama, we have urgent news.>

Ainz nearly fumbled on his own words before regaining composure.

<Ahem ... uh, Cocytus. Speak your mind.>

<Yes, my lord. One of the lizardmen has stated that one of his scouting parties encountered something ... peculiar. He described it as a "portal".>

<Umu, umu. Meet me at the meeting room in Nazarick. I shall call the other Floor Guardians to come by.>

<I understand my lord. It shall be done.>

Ainz stood up and exited the bath with a sigh. The slimes hopped off his body.

A portal, huh? I remember only people with like tons of mana could create one. Wonder why it appeared here? 

Ainz entered his closet and picked out his usual attire, the purplish-black robes with golden accents and intricate decor.

What would be on the other side? Somewhere far from here? Or another world—

A knock was heard on the door.

"Enter."

The captain of the Floor Guardians, Albedo, entered the room.

"Ainz-sama, is there anything concerning you?"

"Y-yes. How did you know?"

Albedo started to squirm. "Well ... you are the man I love, so it's natural that I know if you're concerned over something or not ..."

Ainz decided not to overthink it.

"Umu. Cocytus has just told me the Great Lake encountered something peculiar. A meeting is a must as it could potentially threaten us, so may I know what the other Floor Guardians are doing right now?"

"Demiurge is still at the Holy Kingdom but will be here soon. Cocytus said he needs to do preparations. Other than that, all the other Floor Guardians are currently in Nazarick."

"Good. Tell them to be at the meeting hall pronto. I shall be there soon."

"Understood, Ainz-sama."

Albedo bowed and hastily left the room.

Haa ... He proceeded to teleport to the meeting room.

***

The room was silent as Ainz quietly observed his surroundings. The Floor Guardians sat in a crescent shape, with Ainz at the center. Shalltear sat on his left whilst Albedo on his right, and beside Albedo sat Mare. Aura sat next to Shalltear, constantly glaring at her.

Ainz only called the few strongest of the Floor Guardians here. Usually when it comes to portals, only high-tier spells like <<Gate>> can do such things. However, since it's a high-tier spell, that also means whoever or whatever summoned the portal must possess large amounts of power or mana.