The Eavesdropper

A man wearing peasantry attire stopped in front of a conspicuous shed.

He got off the carriage and tied the horse to a pole. As he opened the shed, he was welcomed by a white, majestic horse.

He took off his plain clothes and put on a white suit that resembled noble attire, with golden accents all over

Mounting on the white horse, he rode as fast as he could towards the capital of the country known as the Slane Theocracy.

His hair was light brown and his eyes lit green with determination. He was none other than the famed "Eavesdropper" of the Windflower Scripture, the elite espionage unit of the Slane Theocracy.

Starse Gastrel.

A spy among spies, he always did his work the best he could, and often it came with gratifying results. It was said he was never caught in any of his spying missions ever. Any.

He often acted as a lone wolf, not really working with the other members of the Windflower Scripture. In fact, he was in the Scripture merely for the sake of obtaining a high-ranked espionage position in the Slane Theocracy.

However, that didn't stop him from constantly succeeding in every mission the Theocracy ordered him to do.

Normally, his flow of things was that the Theocracy would send him to search for something, he would do it, and send back a report.

But this time, it was different.

At first, he was sent to E-Rantel to spy on the current livelihoods of the humans there and see if the Sorcerer Kingdom was doing anything suspicious.

However, he needed to pass through the Great Lake to get to E-Rantel, since it was the fastest way for him to get there considering his current position at the time when he received the command.

And that's where he saw it.

***

[A few hours ago]

As he trekked along the paths in the middle of the Great Lake, shivers were sent down his spine as he felt a strong surge of magic.

The hell?

He signaled his horse to slow down and incanted a spell.

<<Rabbit Ears>>

His hearing improved drastically as he tried his best to overhear the conversation of the powerful beings he just felt.

"Shall we...what...does...arinsu?"

"...no objections."

The sounds of thundering footsteps soon echoed into Starse's ears as they seemed to enter something.

After Starse assured that he had heard complete silence, he hopped off his carriage and slowly creeped towards what he believed was where the two figures conversed.

What welcomed Starse shocked him.

It was a purple, swirly object, as large as a house, spinning clockwise. It gave off an ominous sound that made him feel great discomfort.

What's this? The Sorcerer Kingdom's new weapon? No, wait, from the looks of the conversation earlier, it seemed that they're attempting to "explore" it. So it's a world anomaly?

Starse decided not to overthink things.

Plus, good thing I wasn't found. Those two beings seemed absurdly strong.

As he stood there pondering a bit more, he heard rustles in a bush.

...who's there?

He held his hands on the handle of his sheathed sword, hidden under his cloak.