Part 39

-Rin's POV-

Finally. The stupid tower. We were finally here. After reading a stupid message on the wall, I pulled out the heaven and earth scrolls and unrolled them in front of me. There was a huge poof of smoke, and the three of us jumped backwards, only to be face to face with... "IRUKA SENSEI!?!?!?!?" We screamed, mouths open as we stared at our former teacher standing in front of us. "My students have come so far, I'm so proud." He said, a dreamy tone in his voice. I rolled my eyes. "Iruka sensei get to the point, why are you here?" I asked, not wanting to deal with crap at the moment. Excuse my language but I am ever so slightly tired right now. "First of all, you've passed." Iruka said, a smile on his face. I jumped five feet into the air screaming "WAAA HOOOO!" The rare times I had boundless energy was now. Iruka smiled. "Secondly, I came to explain that message, left by hokage sama. The earth refers to the human body, and the heaven refers to the human mind. If you lack heaven, seek wisdom, be prepared. If you lack earth, run in the fields, seek advantages. Now you know what you need to improve on." Iruka sensei said, smiling again. "Now, you have passed the second round. But there is still more to go. The third round, will be difficut for even the best of you. Good luck, my students." Iruka said. 

"Congratulations on passing the second round of the chuunin exams. Now, we will begin the next procedure. Next will be 1 v 1 matches, but since we have so many teams left, we'll need to hold preliminaries. There are no rules here. You just fight until one resigns, dies, or is unable to continue. The preliminary matches will be chosen at random, and they will begin right now." Explained the three hokage. "What!? No break after we just went through that forest?" Kiba growled, obviously not happy. Murmurs of agreement rippled through the teams. "You must learn to be strong." Was all one of the proctor said, leaving no room for more talk. "The first match will be, Uzumaki Rin versus Shikamaru Nara!" Yelled Hayate. Quiet murmurs filled the arena. It was no secret to anyone that Shikamaru was extremely intelligent. But if it were to be this way, then so be it. I walked into the center of the arena, cool as a cucumber. Shikamaru stood across from me, with screaming cheers from Ino and Choji. "I normally go easy on girls, but I don't think that's possible here." Shikamaru said, cocking his head to the side. I mirrored him. "I'm sure that's one of the best choices you've made in your life." I said. "Begin." Said the proctor, and the fight began. 

We observed each other for a while, waiting to see who would make the first move. I planted my foot and shot out from my position, a kunai in my hand as I stepped right in front of him. His eyes visibly widened, and he had just enough time to slide to the side before I cut him. I skidded to a stop behind him, kunai poised. I hadn't touched him, but a reasonable size of hair lay on the ground beside him, signaling that I had at least done something. "Well, you're a lot faster than I thought." He said, turning around a pulling out his own kunai. Surprised gasps rippled through the arena. I yanked out a dozen kunai and feinted to the side, before jumping up and chucking them in a fan formation. Half of them were dodged, the other half blocked by his own. Causing the kunai to scatter all over the arena, stabbed into the wall and the ground. "I don't appreciate you not letting me have a turn." He said. His hands formed a sign, and his shadow began to extend from his feet. 

I darted around, avoiding the black shadow. We happened to be indoors, so his shadow extended easily, as half of the arena was overshadowed. "Aish." I grunted as I jumped up, kicking the railing and switching directions. I flipped, and landed. Shikamaru, being close enough, lashed at me with his kunai. I leaned to the side, catching his wrist, and flipping him over, and he landed with a crash on the ground. I stood up, or, at least I tried. I was frozen in place, unable to move. My eyes darted around frantically. I didn't see his shadow on the ground. "You're probably wondering where that came from. Look up, I'll let you." He said. My head was forcefully tilted upwards, and my eyes widened. His black shadow line was stretched across the ceiling, where no light was able to reach. "See, I did say, I wasn't going to go easy on you." Shikamaru said, standing up. "Well then I guess you need to stick to your word." I said. I focused chakra, and I felt a familiar lurch. In an instant, I was behind Shikamaru, who had no suspection that I would pop up out of nowhere. I gave an open palmed strike in the middle of his back, sending him stumbling into an opposite wall. I flashed to the kunai sticking out of that wall, immediately appearing right in front of him. I swung my fist, giving him a brutal punch in the face. He was knocked backwards, and I flashed to the kunai on the ceiling, and shot downwards, swinging my leg down and kicking him fiercely in the head with my metal bottomed boots, most likely giving him a mild concussion. I mentally apologized for that. Shikamaru was sprawled on the ground, unmoving. 

"Winner of preliminary round one, Uzumaki Rin!" Yelled the proctor. Cheers burst out in the arena. I smiled, and walked over to Shikamaru. "You okay there, pineapple head?" I asked, extending a hand for him to grab. He accepted it and stood. "I think you knocked the smarts out of me." He grumbled. I laughed. "Go get checked up, pineapple head. Good fight." I said. "He gave me a half smile and shook hands with me. "Nice fight. You have very good skills Rin. It was a pleasure fighting you." He said, and walked off. I sighed, retreiving my kunai from the arena floor, walls, and ceiling and I hopped back into the floor with my team. "Rin how did you..." Sakura asked, trailing ogg her sentence out of shock. "I've never seen that jutsu before." Sasuke said, turning his head. "I'm sorry, it's a secret." I said, winking and smiling. Even Kakashi seemed surprised. "Where did you even learn that?" He asked. "Well it's not my fault I learn things fast and that I'm a curious person." I said, putting my hands up. "Shoot me for being super intelligent." I said with a smirk, turning around and walking away, leaving kakashi dumbfounded with his invisible mouth hanging open.