Untitled Part 16

He asks me a couple more questions before positioning me on the table. Once he begins the exam I slip off. I don't know if he notices, but when I come out of it I am sitting up on the table. I glance at the clock, three hours have passed. I hear him talking, but I don't process it.

"Pardon?" He looks me over critically and hands me a pill.

"I asked if you were okay?" I take a swig of water from the cup he holds out to me and swallow the pill. I think for a second, am I okay?

 I answer as truthfully as I can. I can twist the truth, but I can't flat out lie. And something tells me that he is able to tell between truth and lie.

"I'll be fine. May I go home now?" I didn't particularly want to go home, but if my father... Wait my father? He begins to respond but I cut him off.

"Where is my father? I need to go home." I say, almost frantically, losing the faux composure. Then Mr. Blackbourne comes in.

"Miss Sorenson."

"Mr. Blackbourne?" He sighs, placing a palm to his eye.

"Your father is in jail." He says it in such a blunt manner that I cringe. I feel a sort of relief mixed with concern.

"What?! Why?"

"He was caught having sexual relations with a girl under the age of consent." For some reason I am not fazed by this, I have come to expect anything as far as my family. I don't know when, or how, or why, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

"Um. okay. Will you give me a ride back home?" The look he gives me tells me that I am missing something. What is it that I am missing?

"Yes of course." He walks out of the room. I change and we leave.