Untitled Part 26

“It would be a pleasure to go anywhere with you.” As soon as I said it whispers start going around the room. Oh the joys of high society.

We dance a few more songs before going for refreshments.  I can’t wipe the smile from my face. We may not be actually dating, but Victor is sweet. The other boys my mother has set me up with acted entitled and were possessive.

The waiter approaches us and hands us champagne. I take a sip and swallow it down. I hate the taste. Victor seems to have my same sentiment about it, but we both are used to it by now I guess. I’m used to doing unpleasant things for “the good of the family.” Because a minor refusing alcohol would apparently cause a scandal. At least that is what my mother thinks.

Giving more thought into my current situation, Victor would be just about the only person I know that could sympathize with me. Sure, there are plenty of other children of the super-rich, but I don’t know any others that are forced to perform. My trust fund from performing is huge, at just about a half-million. That isn't including family funds that I have access to.

We go towards Victor’s group of friends. While with them, I will have to keep up the social standards of these parties. I must hang off Victor’s arm and nod when appropriate. I must not act too friendly with the rest of them.

“Hello Victor, Sang,” Kota greets us. It is almost like we are all playing characters. They are all acting high society though they aren't.  Victor and I are acting the part of boyfriend and girlfriend, perfect children.

“I heard a rumor going around that two young musicians are dating,” jokes Luke. I blush bright red.  “I have to say, I’m not surprised,” says Gabriel. Victor chuckles at that. “I guess I’m just having the luck of the draw.” If I wasn't blushing before, now I’m the color of a fire hydrant.

“Sang, we are having a party after this, do you think you are able to attend?” asks Kota with a formal tone.  “I may just be able to. Victor, would you like to come with me to ask my mother?” He seems surprised that I am considering it. Heck, I’m even surprised I’m considering it.  In reality it is probably that I hate being around my mother after these parties. “Of course.”

We find her at the other side of the room. “Mother, may I speak to you for a moment?” She walks a slight distance away from her friends.  “What?”

“I am leaving with Victor. I will be back in the morning.” That was not what she was expecting. “Of course, Victor is a charming young man, you may go with him.”

Victor and I walk away from her. I turn to him, digesting her words. “Victor,” I say under my breath, dropping the formality. “Yes?”

“She just gave me permission to leave, like now.” He grabs ahold of my hand and takes me out to his car. He texts the guys and says that we will meet them at Kota’s. Thank goodness. I don't think I could've taken one more second of the stiffness in the ballroom.