Untitled Part 25

I stand in the green room, otherwise known as a guest bedroom. I am wearing a royal blue off-the-shoulder neckline ball gown. I feel like I princess. I love it. The bodice is fitted and the skirt is gathered and floor length.

Victor is on the stage at the moment. He has one more song, then our duet. Then I go on. I'm not nervous about playing. Not stressed. I am more anxious about after the concert than playing. The only worry I have is "tarnishing the family name." My mother would punish me for that.

Someone comes up. I grab my violin and follow him.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen," the woman on stage announces, "we have a treat for you. Our two finest young musicians are performing a duet. Victor Morgan and Sang Sorenson."

I walk onto the stage with grace, making eye contact with Victor. We never practiced this together. I just learned the song an hour ago. He nods and we start. I find Mr. Blackbourne as I play. He smiles a full smile up at me. Before I know it the song is over. Just as fast, I am off the stage.

Victor is waiting for me in the green room.

"Ready to go hobnob with the snobs?" I giggle at the rhyme.

"Can we not?" He laughs and pulls me into a hug. I don't stiffen. I don't blank out.

"A girl after my own heart. Unfortunately no." I pout and stomp my foot, crossing my arms.

"But I no wanna," I joke. He takes my hand, laughing, and guides me out. People talk to us like we care what they have to say.

"Victor, Sang, your duet was fantastic."

"Victor that was the best I've seen you perform."

"Sang your dress is exquisite."

"You make such a cute couple." That one takes us both by surprise. We both look to each other to refute the comment. Neither of us do. My mother grabs my wrist.

"We need to talk to you both," she says sharply. What did I do now? We wander off into a corner where Victor's mother lurks.

"The press is having a field day with you two," she says.

"Are you two dating?" My mother questions. I look to Victor to respond.

"No Mrs. Sorenson, we are not."

"You are now. Go do so publicly."

Victor didn't seem troubled by it as we walked away. Neither was I, rally. He is much better than any of the other boys my mom has set me up with. I think we might have been heading there anyways. A slow song comes on and he leads me to the dance floor. He strokes my cheek as we dance with precision. We had both been trained, it was obvious. He speaks loud enough for the people around us to hear.

"Beautiful. Sang, would you give me the honor of accompanying you to the party on Sunday." We are both laying it on thick. They may be genuine feelings, but definitely not a genuine way to express them.

"It would be a pleasure to go anywhere with you."