Part 29

Sorry, sorry, sorry, a thousand times sorry for not updating this in a more timely manner. I hope you are still interested in reading this and enjoy it. 

My mouth forms the words before I can censor them, "As fine as I ever am." The boys' faces contort in confusion at the vague statement. I really shouldn't have said that. Stupid Sang.

Kota steps in to rescue me yet again. "How about we all get ready for bed. I'll grab you something more comfortable to change into." I give a slight nod. They are all going to hate me for ruining their party. I'm such a screw up.

In the minute it takes for him to go grab something from what I assume is his sister's room, the others have managed to drag enough pillows and blankets onto the floor for the eight of us.

His hands are warm as he hands me the sweatpants and tank top. His flash of a grin as I accept them fills my stomach with butterflies.

Gosh, get ahold of yourself Sang. They would never want to date you. Don't go ruining friendships. Anyways, I am already "dating" Victor.

When I come back from putting on the pajamas I find a spot in the middle open for me and a movie's menu screen up. I snuggle into the blanket and they press play.

...

She stands over me, butcher knife in hand. "This is for your own good, can't have you tarnishing the family name, can we?" Checkerboard of blood. Warm scarlet rivers flowing down my back turn to rapids.

I'm aware that I'm dying. Bleeding out. Chunks of my skin lay on the black and white floor below me. Odd how my back and the floor share the same pattern now.

The world spins as she chuckles maniacally above me. "Goodbye dear daughter."

"SANG! Wake up! Why isn't she waking up?" a panicked voice yells. My back burns like someone just poured hydrochloric acid on it. I shoot upright, giving myself a head rush.

Well, that was a miserable dream. I should've known better than to fall asleep. If I hadn't ruined the party before, I've certainly ruined it now.

Kota kneels in front of me as I catch my breath. "You okay?" I nod as I bite my lip. The metallic tang of blood fills my mouth.

He scoots closer to me. "Don't lie. You don't need to lie to us." It's hard not to lie when that is what you've spent your whole life doing.

My internal conflict brings silent tears to my eyes. As much as I want to trust them, circumstance doesn't allow it.

The pad of his thumb comes up under my eye to wipe the tears away. When I don't flinch the corner of his mouth moves up, if only a millimeter or two. Funny how similar he looks to Mr. Blackbourne in that moment.

"Can I hug you?" he asks softly. I open my arms and allow his warm embrace. I could get used to this. "How about we go back to sleep and talk about this in the morning?"