Untitled Part 27

Even though we left earlier than everybody else we still all arrive around the same time. As we walk in it is as if we are all shedding. Victor's tie loosens. My hair comes down from its fancy up-do. His shirt comes untucked. My earrings come out.

It is nice to know that I'm not the only one that does this. I am not my mother. I can not play the part of a high society woman. She eats it up. She likes the attention. I loath it. Its just not me.

We sink on to the couch together, waiting for the last few. We make idle chitchat, nothing of consequence, just about homework and such.

Gabriel comes in last and immediately makes a fuss over my dress. "Oh my god. It is amazing. Who designed it? Is it silk twill? Where did you get it?" He motions for me to twirl. "umm... I don't know. It showed up in my dressing room?" He chuckles at my lack of knowledge. "That's it. We are keeping her. She's cute."

"Getting rid of her was never an option," said Victor,"She's perfect." I'm not sure if I'm smiling or blushing, probably both. Judging from the snickers from the rest of the room I'm definitely blushing. "Oy, have you ever met another girl this fucking cute though?" Heat floods my face

.

"Stop teasing Sang," rescues Kota, "What do you all want to do?" We all stare at each other silently as we wait for one another to respond. A rumble sounds from across the room and Silas pats his stomach. "Food?" Everybody, me included, laughs.

"I can cook," I offer. The responses are simultaneous. 

"Not in that dress."

"You can cook?"

"You're our guest, you don't have to."

"You know how to cook?"

I have to giggle at that last response. "Yes I can cook." Luke looks at me puzzled. "But don't you have chefs and maids and stuff?"

"Yes, we do. Long story, but I learned how to cook. Do you want me too? What do you want?"

"No thanks," Kota grabs a bag of potato chips from the cupboard and throws them at Silas, "We did eat at the party, after all. The question still stands, what to do?"

"A game," declares Gabriel, "Truth or dare?" Everybody groans, but nobody says no. We arrange ourselves in a circle. I've never played this before, but I've seen it in movies and read about it. It has always seemed like fun.

"Oy, Sang, truth or dare?" From what I know, the dares can get pretty wild. "Truth." Everybody groans. "You're no fun. Ooo... Have you ever had a boyfriend before?" That was way girlier than I expected.

"Yes, but not one I've cared about. Mainly ones my mother and father decided were good for the reputation. Victor, truth or dare?"

"Truth" Cue moaning and groaning from the rest of them.

"What is your favorite song to listen to?" I make sure to make the distinction, because trust me it matters. I love Winter by Vivaldi, but it is a royal pain in the butt to play.

"Mmm... that's a tough one... Moonlight Sonata maybe? Sang, truth or dare?"

"But I just went," I whine. "Too bad," he says with a smile. "Truth."

"Do you have any secret talents?"

"I played piano a  it when I was younger. Not very good though. Cooking and baking, I guess." He seems stunned that I played the piano.

"Why'd you stop? When?" How to say this without revealing too much about my family dynamic.

"I stopped when I was four? Five maybe? My parents made me stop because it was causing a rivalry with your family, apparently, so I switched to violin."