Part 32

"Welcome to my humble abode," Dr. Green says, "let me give you a tour?"

I nod, realizing my absolute futility in this situation.

"Well then, through here is the kitchen, the living room," he guides me through a hallway, "my bedroom, the bathroom, and your bedroom," he opens the door, "I'm sure Gabriel will jump at the chance to decorate and to take you shopping for new clothes."

"I really don't need new clothes; can't I just go pick some up form home?"

"Out of the question until we know how much danger you are in, Miss Sorenson." I had almost forgotten that Mr. Blackbourne was here. And wow, manipulative much?

I have to admit my reply is a little snarky, "So either way, if I tell you or if I don't, I'm stuck here."

"My company is a rather nice place to be stuck," protests Dr. Green.

"But you're my teachers, isn't this against some school rule, and if the press get wind of this it will be in the society columns for an eternity."

"Are you seriously arguing to have us send you back to an abusive household?"

"It's nothing I can't handle and I don't want you to get in trouble for kidnapping or something."

"Miss Sorenson, we will allow you to retrieve your possessions if you consent to a medical examination and bring one of us with you."

"I don't want to stay her, I want to go back home."

"I'm sorry Miss Sorenson, but I cannot allow that." I make pleading eye contact with Dr. Green, who just shakes his head.

I know when I've lost.

"Well I guess I have to consent then. I need my violin at least."

"Come back to your room then Sang, and we can do this," Dr. Green says.

I thought I would have more time. I pale at the thought of Dr. Green seeing me.

He begins to walk down the hall, but I stand frozen in place.

"He won't hurt you," Mr. Blackbourne puts his hand on my shoulder, "Would you like me to come with you?"

And while my lessons with Mr. Blackbourne have instilled some measure of trust, it is nowhere near enough for me to let him see me so vulnerable.

Shake my head in one abrupt movement. I take a deep breath in.

"No, I'll be fine."

"I know you will be."

Then I make my way to the-my bedroom, my steps getting smaller as I near. I turn the knob, completely filled with dread over the coming examination.

...

"Could you turn over for me?" I flip onto my stomach; feeling more exposed than ever as Dr. Green notes my injuries. I'm sure there will be a questioning as soon as he is sure that I am not I need of treatment.

After what feels like absolutely forever, he tells me to sit up and I correct my shirt. He sighs and runs a hand through his hair.

He plops onto the bed ungracefully and shoots me a weak smile, as if he is trying to convince himself as well as me. I scoot away from him unconsciously, leaning against the headboard.

"Why do you have so many rope burns?" I wince at his first question choice.

"Get tied up a lot," I shrug.

"Why?" I give him an incredulous look.

"Why is anyone tied up? I wasn't supposed to move."

I think it was at this point that I lost all of my pride. There isn't a point to lying or trying to soften the truth. They know.

They know, and that is a scarier concept than four hours with my father. They know, and they could cause my world to shatter.

They could destroy my family. They already did that though.

They could destroy me, and they expect me to trust that they won't.

The most terrifying part is that I do. They make me feel safe.

"—your back?" I missed the first part of the question, but I answer it anyways.

"Paring knife," is all I reply.

A look of disgust crosses his face, then murderous rage, then it slips to a blank state. Looks like Mr. Blackbourne isn't the only one with that skill.

"Who?"

"Mother."

"Why?"

"I don't know." It feels like something is sliding down the back of my throat, and I try my hardest not to cry.

I fail.

Dr. Green opens his arms and I scoot close, laying my head in his lap as I cry. He stroke a gentle hand through my hair and whispers nonsense at me.

"It's okay. You won't go back there again. You will never be alone again."

The End.

Holy smokes. I'm done. I'm finally finished with this story. I never thought this day would come. I hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading!