34. Death

Chapter 34: Death.

Three Months Later:

The sun kissed his body as he turned around in the comfortable bed that welcomed him for the past three months, he groans at the light assaulting his eyes and flutters them open to be met with the same scenery.

His single bed faced the glass windows that had an open view on the garden and the forest surrounding it. The small cottage always smelt of Remington's homemade bread in the mornings, making him salivate and rush to stand up with his ruffled hair.

He reaches for the door in his disoriented state, yawning and stretching as he takes the squeaky stairs to the kitchen on the first floor.

Three months went by, he never felt more at home than these days, at first, he was reluctant about staying in the cottage but after Remington introduced him to Ezekiel, Elliott, grandma Lou and Mama Jane, he couldn't help himself but want to live his dream of having a family around him.

He learned during his first week that they were all humans, except Mama Jane, she was a witch but unlike any witch he met before, she was kind, loving and very accepting if humans which is the reason why she had adopted three from home shelters; Ezekiel, he first child, Elliot the troublemaker and Remington, the youngest but also the smartest.

She says that she always saw something in them, potential that exceeded their human form or lack of superpowers. She isolated them from the external world to provide them with a peaceful environment that would help them thrive and explore nature.

She was also the first to help him when Remington brought him there for the first time, making him blue vervain pills so the others couldn't track him and training him to separate his reality from others.

Everyday, before sunrise, she would take him deep into the forest, teaching him how to meditate, connect with the Earth and build roots with it. At first, he was skeptical, but eventually it started working, the hallucinations were less and less scary, he could still see and hear things but he had the ability to control their hold on him. He'd wake up in the middle of the night, screaming and sweating but she knew exactly how to handle him, giving him herbal tea and a small enchantement to knock him out like a baby.

During their meditation sessions, she would always repeat the same thing :

"Your soul is who you are and you are more than you think. When a piece of you breaks, you rebuild it."

How is supposed to rebuild something he didn't know that existed? Something he can neither see or touch. It was practically impossible, yet she kept insisting that he could do it.

She had too much faith in him, for once someone believed in him and his abilities which made him hang on, just for her.

"Mama exhausted you yesterday?" Remi laughed from the inside of the kitchen as a sleepy Milo walked in.

Ezekiel was sitting there, reading a book about history as usual, he doesn't care to look up from his book when Milo flopped in the seat next to him.

"All of this training..." He sighs, smacking his head against the table. "It's working I guess? But I'm either gonna die from how hard it is or from the hallucinations."

"Don't exaggerate, Mama knows what she's doing!" Remi smacks him on the head and he hums before looking at Ezekiel.

"Don't you get bored from reading about witch history?" Milo whines as he comes face to face with the cover.

"Don't you get bored from whining all day long?" The hazel eyed boy mutters without giving Milo any attention.

"What's so fascinating about witches anyway?" Milo insists and he knew he shouldn't have when Ezekiel took off his glasses and put down the book.