35. Choices

Chapter 35: Choices.

Remington and Ezekiel are the first to arrive into the bathroom, knocking the door open to carry up Milo from the ground and bring him out.

They were used to his breakdowns, especially whenever he is left alone, which is part of the reason they stopped scolding him about his newly developed habit of not freshening up before breakfast.

Ezekiel carries him to his bedroom in the first floor and in no time, both of them are hugging him and caressing his back, whispering how he will be safe and protected with them.

"What happened?" Mama Jane was still in her night robe, her auburn hair was cascading down her freckled shoulders and her green eyes were full of worry and fear for the one she considered as her new child.

"He had another breakdown in the bathroom!" Remington whispered as she buried his face in her chest, allowing the flow of his tears to run on her very new shirt.

Ezekiel on the other hand was occupied on providing Milo with warmth by caressing his back and holding his hands, they learnt during their time together that heat allowed him to stay connected to their reality.

"Move, let me see." Jane shakes her head to the side and they're both away from him. She sits by his side and gently caresses his trembling cheek, enchanting him to feel relaxed and seren.

"Hey darling, mother is here..." She rubs her forehead against his, smiling lovingly and he sobs, hiding his face in the crook of her neck.

"I think I'm stepping into stage two..." He mutters between hiccups but as she holds him stronger against her, his cries stop completely.

"Shhhh, it's okay darling... Do you want to take a walk?" She suggests while holding him tighter.

He starts to nod but they are interrupted by Grandma Lou's entrance into Ezekiel's room, supported by the weird looking cane that was shaped like tree roots twirling around each other.

"Leave the child alone Jane." Her thin, breathy voice indicated her presence and in a blink, she was sitting by Milo's other side.

"Mother." Jane stands up and bows her head in respect before leaving the room and dragging her kids along with her.

"How are you feeling today my child?" The old woman smiles, putting her wrinkly hand over Milo's young skin and a weird feeling over takes him.

Suddenly his chest feels very light, his problems are casually nonexistent and he forgets all about his fears and pain, her touch reminded him of Toby's ability to absorb all of his negative feelings but at the same time, it felt better coming from him.

Maybe it's because she didn't force a magical bond on him and dragged him into a world full of chaos?

Actually, she was the opposite of chaos, she was very serene and calm, she might look very old but he wanted to keep staring at her all day long, she just seemed too... Natural?

She provoked the same feelings in him as watching the sea from afar or running through fields of flowers. It was getting harder and harder to believe that she was human, yet a part of him wanted to believe she was as normal as she claimed to be.

"Better..." He whispers after a couple of seconds of silence.

"Good, good...!" She takes his hand in between hers and nods. "Put on your shoes, I will show you something..."

"What will you show me?" He follows her with his eyes as she stands up and walks to the door.

"Meet me by the Oak tree in ten minutes, child." She doesn't care to look at him before leaving and closing the door after her.