42

I was discharged from the hospital a few hours later. Lila let me rant to her the entire time we were there. I've never trusted anyone this much. Enough to rant to them about what's bothering me. I've never had a friend stick around this long. I've never had a real friend. But I consider Lila and Melanie my friends now. I enjoy having them around.

And I think they enjoy having me around.

My eyes flutter open as I find myself in an uncomfortable position, jammed between Melanie and Lila in the back of Stiles' car. Melanie has her elbow practically inside of my rib cage and Lila is slobbering on my shoulder. I push both off me and towards their respective windows.

"Look who's awake.", Elijah says jokingly from the passenger seat.

I smile at him slightly then turn my focus towards Stiles who has his eyes focused on the empty road to avoid me. I ignore it, not letting him bother me. We both know that the words I spoke in the hospital were the truth. He can't lead me on and then push me away, it isn't fair.

He says he doesn't want to hurt me, but his words made me cry so how much more damage can he really do?

I watch as the car drives by a bunch of trees that all look alike. You can tell they haven't been copied and pasted, however. Some have branches sticking out in different spots and others aren't as tall as the last. Some aren't as green as others; some aren't fully covered with leaves. You can tell they're all the same though. You can just tell.

The trees leave as quickly as they appeared and I can see the campus from a distance, but there are red and blue light flashing around the building that aren't usually there. My first assumption is that they're LED lights from the team's win party, apparently, they throw one after every win and Lila skipped it to make sure I was alright. But it makes no sense that we would see them all the way from here. The party is supposed to be in Nadia's dorm.

As the car travels closer, I realize that the lights are coming from a few cop cars lined up outside. The last time I was around police cars was when I got questioned at the station after telling my parents. They drove me straight to the station and just kept screaming at me, saying I should've done something. What was I supposed to do?

"Claira?", Melanie calls my name and I notice everyone has exited the car now, everyone besides me. "Are you going to get out?"

"Oh right.", I chuckle trying to hide the fact that I was spaced out long enough for both Melanie and Lila to wake up and get out before me.

I get out of the car and interlock my arms with Lila's and Melanie's, pretending to attempt a friendly gesture. I just want to be able to close my eyes as we pass those cop cars. Once I can feel the tile of the inside of the academy, I open my eyes and begin walking to my dorm. I just want to get out of this volleyball uniform and into my bed.

"Where are you going?", Lila looks at me.

"To my room?", I raise a brow.

"No, we're going to at least let the team know you're okay!", she exclaims.

"But I just want to sleep.", I state not in the mood for people.

"You slept plenty in the car.", Melanie chimes in.

I decide to just go with it because the two of them are getting along and it's nice for me.

"Don't drink too much.", I hear a voice say strictly from behind me.

"Wait you two are actually letting me drink?", I widen my eyes.

"Yes.", Elijah states. "But, not enough to get drunk. You don't need anything interfering with your medicine. One shot at most."