21

junior

it was the weekend before the contest and angelica and i were in my room, getting in as much work as possible.

"i'm tired angel, can we take a break?" i flopped down on my bed.

"junior we can't, we need to get at least second place and if we take a break, we can't do that. just please focus." she said before looking down at the poem.

"we're going to overheat mama, how about we just chill and get back on it in an hour?" i sat up. i was at my wits ends with this and it was getting frustrating.

"junior you don't understand, i need this money. it could help me out a lot, unlike you." she crossed her arms and leaned back on my study chair.

"what you mean unlike me? you think i don't have problems?" i raised my eyebrow, mugging her.

"compared to me, i don't think so. you live like royalty compared to me, nice house, more cars than you need, your mom owns three businesses and i don't know what your dad does but he sure as hell does a good job at it. your living easy." she said, anger clear on her face.

"get the fuck out of here with that bullshit, my life ain't easy one bit." i scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"i'm half magic trick and half magician. my father was the best in the business, he was the absolute best. he made money disappear, cards vanish, roll the dice and gold would appear and for his final disappearing act when i was five, never to be seen again.

my mom, the best assistant known to man. the fake smile she wore distracted the audience from the hurt she was really feeling and that's how my father sawed her in half and made her feel forced to stay.

see me, i truly am half the magic trick and the magician. i got a couple tricks up my sleeve. i tend to vanish quicker than my father when things don't go my way. i be flipping cards, levitating shit, walking on water. anything to distract these niggas from the bad things that i do and i do believe in karma. but don't get me wrong, i still be pulling these niggas out of hats, making them do what i want for less than nothing because i'm only half the magic trick and half the magician."

i stared at her as she finished her improv poem, tears in her eyes. i licked my lips and looked at the ceiling.

"get the fuck back cause i'm heat. my pops is a bob the builder ass nigga. so quick to build shit up only to tear it back down. my birth giver lacked parental skills, i've got the scars to prove it. the anger and hate manifested into my health, a nigga keeps wheezing." i put my hand on chest as i looked in her eyes.

"i got my dad's mouth, i fire off bullets when i'm mad, can't control the dick in my pants, it itches when pretty girls smile." i put my hand in between my spread legs.

"get the fuck back cause i'm heat, my momma stays with hair grease on her hands cause she can't rely on bob the builder like she thought. siblings birthed at the same time but not alike for shit, i gotta play mediator.

if i lose, the building collapses, no strength to build it back up cause i'm weak. got a loyal bitch by my side so i can tell her to sit when i want to feel like the man that i'm not." i walked over to her.

"too hot, my emotions boil over and leave stains. can't tell nobody my pain cause no one listens to the bad kids so tell these niggas be careful with my motherfuckin mood cause i'm heat."

we stared at each for a while before i kissed her deeply. she wrapped her arms around my neck as i picked her up and grabbed her thighs, securing her legs around me. i laid her on my bed and kissed her neck softly.

"your dad, he might..."

"he ain't home." i cut her off, licking the hickey i gave her. i went back to her lips and smiled as she tightened her legs around me.

"what about kenya?" she moaned softly as i kissed her collar and made my way down.

"what about her?" i asked as i softly bit her inner thigh, making her moan again.

"ladies and gentleman, welcome to the annual poetry contest!" the mc announced making the crowd cheer.

"ms g, you sure we got a chance? it's hella people here." i bounced on my toes as i looked around backstage.

"of course, i wouldn't pick you if i didn't think you had a chance." she pat us on the shoulder, "i'll be right in front cheering you on." she smiled before leaving.

"we got this okay?" angelica held my face in her hands before kissing me.

"yeah." i nodded, leaning my forehead against hers. we watched backstage as the other schools performed their poems.

"please welcome, angelica and junior!" the mc announced. we let out a breath and walked out onto the stage.

the lights were bright as hell and a nigga felt queasy but i calmed down when i saw ms g smiling at us.

i want to be inside of you, not sexually but cosmically.
i want to know what gases make your star shine, what elements make you so gorgeous.
your beauty is radiant like Orion or a supernova. it's a shame i won't get a taste.

i want you deep inside me, not sexually but metaphysically.
i want to know what your Saturn rings feel like.
your bright moons hypnotize me into delirium, it's orgasmic.
i want us to have our own Big Bang and have our planet. it's a shame you can't get a taste.

let me in. your tropical waters, i mean.
i want to feel their warmth soothing my pain because that's what you do to me, soothe. your alkebulan is so peaceful and tempting.
i don't blame adam, i also would take a bite of your apple.

you snake! how foolish of me to believe you'd stay.
look, you left my garden a mess, didn't even trim the hedges like you promised.
you can't possibly expect me to put in all the work.
damn eve, you ruined everything.
all i wanted was for you to have a taste, not the whole apple.

by the time we had finished the poem, she had her hands on my chest and my arms around her waist. the crowd erupted into applause, ignoring the rules: snap your fingers, dont clap, making us smile. we bowed and went backstage.

"wow! you guys were amazing!" a girl in school uniform came up to us with her friends.

"yeah, the metaphors and allegory were fantastic, good job." a boy with thick ass glasses said.

"thanks i guess." i scrunched up my face in confusion. angelica and the small group started talking about poetry while i grabbed a water and sat in one of the chairs.

"i'm so proud of you two! this is our first win in years! apparently the judges loved the emotion and back and forth of you two, they said it was captivating." ms g smiled as we walked to her car.

"thank you." angelica smiled as she looked at the cheque in her hands, "so what are you going to do with your half? $7 500 is a lot." she put on her seat belt as we drove off.

who wears a seat belt in the backseat?

"nothing." i looked out the window.

"what do you mean?" she asked.

"i mean i'm giving it to you. like you said, you need it more than me." i looked at her.

she smiled brightly and held my hand tightly, "thank you." she whispered.