28

nova

"you can't seriously be nervous? you're the one that was super hyped last night." nola said as we approached the school.

"you got nothin to be nervous for. this my school, i got you." junior said from the passenger seat making daddy chuckle.

"i can't be calling on you for everything." i bounced my leg, looking out the window at the students outside the school.

relax bitch, nobody know you here.

"you can't but i will. i'm bout to abuse that 'mY BrOtHeR iS a SeNIor' card." nola laughed along with junior.

"relax vava, you got this." daddy looked at me through the rear view mirror.

"thanks daddy." i smiled.

"good now get out the car, i got money to make, come on now." he shooed us out the car, making us roll our eyes and get out the car.

"i'll drop y'all at the office aight?" junior wrapped his arms around us as we walked in the school.

he would occasionally dap or talk to someone but we eventually got to the office. "thanks." nola and i said at the same time making us laugh.

"if y'all need anything..." he looked at us.

"we'll let you know." i nodded. he gave us hugs, wished us luck and left.

"what's your first class?" i asked nola as we walked out the office.

she pulled out her already crumpled up schedule and the list of names of the teachers we just got, "i got chemistry with evans, you?" she looked at me.

i pulled out my schedule and held it next to the list, "history with kim. i hope we have lunch together." i looked at her schedule.

"nope, but we got gym and science together so that's not bad." she smiled.

"you're right." i nodded softly just before the bell rang, "love ya." i said before i made my way to history.

"love ya." she said back, walking in the opposite direction.

i walked in class and realized i came in earlier than everyone. this is good.

"nova torrez-ali, yes?" the tall, history teacher smiled at me as i made my way to his desk.

"yes sir." i nodded, looking around the classroom that had a whole lot of posters.

"good to see that your early. we'll get along just fine," he nodded as the other students walked in, some eyeing me already.  "i won't make you introduce yourself, it's too late in the year for that." he smiled as he got up from his desk and stood next to me.

i like it here.

"settle down everyone." he yelled over the noise. everyone sat in their seats and looked forward. i didn't like that too much, "you can sit next to denise," he pointed at a girl with braids tied in a low ponytail, "she doesn't bite, i promise." he chuckled.

i gave him a fake smile before going to sit next to denise who smiled at me and moved her desk closer to mine, "figured you ain't got a textbook yet so.." she said.

"thanks. i'm nova." i told her, figuring i might as well try.

"i'd introduce myself but you know my name already." she said making me laugh.