35

lowkey forgot this chapter 🤷🏽‍♀️

nola

we've been on this side for a two months now and besides the shooting, we've been good. i got the job at Sir Calvin's as part of the clean up crew and my shifts aren't crazy so i'm satisfied.

"look at my baby, looking all smart." my mom smiled as i walked downstairs in my uniform. i cheesed as she took a picture of me.

"ion know why you think you need a job when we can provide for you." daddy opened the fridge, taking out a bottled water.

"i need something to do, i'm bored during the weekends. okay, goodbye." i waved at them, hiking up my backpack and going to the bus stop.

"hey." nabi's brother waved at me as he put down chairs.

"hey." i smiled softly before going into the back and putting my bag in my locker. i turned around and nabi stood there, smiling.

"hi nola." she beamed.

i tilted my head to the side slightly, she looked very different today. like, really different. "hey, did you do something with your hair?" i looked at her space buns.

"uh, no?" she squinted, "why?" she fixed her gold necklace.

"no reason. see you." i smiled and walked past her. she smells so good, like cinnamon and sugar.

"nola!" i turned back and nabi's dad stood by the bar with a bunch of papers.

"yes sir." i stood up straight as soon as i got to him.

"i'm going to need you and nabi to check if we have all of this in the kitchen." he handed me a paper with food items on it. "and make sure it's fresh too, okay?"

"sure thing." i nodded and went to find nabi.

she was talking to our co-worker. i stopped for a minute and watched them. i couldn't put my finger on it but she was just different, like she was glowing almost. i don't know how to describe it.

i shook my head and walked towards them, politely breaking the conversation. "uh nabi, you're dad said we she check if we have these in the kitchen." i held up the paper.

"okay, let's go." she tapped my shoulder and walked ahead of me. i looked at the spot she touched for a second then followed behind her.

junior

"so how's your dad?" angelica asked me as we did our homework in the library.

"he's good, just got off his crutches and shit." i extended my hand and intertwined our fingers.

"that's good," she smiled, "oh, have you thought about prom?" she asked me.

prom was about six months away but a lot of people were stressing. i was gonna worry about it closer to the date.

"nah, i got time." i shook my head, finishing the last question.

"oh." she pulled her hand back and fiddled with her pen.

i shook my head and pulled her hand back, "what's wrong?"

she shook her head, "nothing," giving me a small smile.

i raised my eyebrow, "you wanna go with me huh?" i chuckled.

"i mean if you're going then yeah." she giggled softly.

"aight then, we'll talk about it closer to the date." i worked on my other homework.

"but before that, i want you to meet my brother." she said, rubbing her thumb on the back of my hand.

i froze, looking at my page. i know damn well i'm not ready for all of that, that's lowkey scary. "you sure? we've only been dating for three months."

"uh huh, you have to meet him before prom." she nodded, taking out her chemistry textbook.

i rubbed the back of my neck, "damn." i whispered.

"what do you mean 'damn', you don't wanna meet him?" she asked.

"no i do, just not so soon, maybe after we hit the two year mark." i explained.

"but that's a waste of time, the sooner the better." she started working.

i watched her work and shook my head. lately angelica has been trying to push us into a direction i ain't used to.

i like patient relationships but she's been kinda rushing things in like subtle ways. she's also an old soul, not to say i'm not chivalrous or nothing but she expects me to do the flowers and the calls all the time. just last week we went on a dinner date, something i've never done.

"aight." i sighed, rubbing my waves.

a/n: it's me wanting to give up this book for me 🌚