23

nova

as promised, i didn't step foot in that school. i don't care who has to say what, i'm not gonna go and face more embarrassment because jayvion lied.

i hate to admit it but vanessa and eve were right, he was bad news and i should have stayed away. i told momma that i wasn't going back, but she didn't know why. i almost got my ass beat too.

i got out of bed and started making it. i knew momma was getting ready to go drop off nola at school so i took my time in getting ready.

"nova!" my momma called from downstairs.

"yes?" i called back.

silence

"yes?" i called out louder, listening for anything.

silence

"yes ma'am?" i tried again but she didn't respond.

shit bitch you must not want anything then.

"nova torrez-ali!" she yelled making me fight my bed covers that were in my hands.

i put on my shoes and went downstairs. nola was rushing to finish her cereal while putting on her backpack and momma was by the door.

"yes ma'am?" i stood near the couch, a safe distance from her.

"i shouldn't be calling you more than once you hear me? when i call you, you get your ass moving." she pointed at me.

"yes ma'am." i nodded. as much as momma was chilled, she also was strict sometimes.

"if you not coming to the salon, your ass stays in this house and you better lock my damn doors and not let anyone in, you understand?" she raised her eyebrow making me nod.

they left and i immediately locked the door. i went back upstairs and finished making my bed before taking a quick shower and making myself cereal.

i couldn't believe that jayvion would do that to me. i stupidly put my trust in him, against my friends' warning. men will be the death of you, i swear. i started crying, regretting ever having a crush on him. i feel like a punk and embarrassment was my bitch. i couldn't wait until we moved.

it was going on noon and i was bored out my mind. i picked up my phone and watched a few videos on youtube, the tv just softly playing in the background.

i eventually ended up watching videos on self love, self care and all that stuff. i found it so interesting so i went to my notes and wrote down everything i felt i should do to be the bad bitch that i know i was. i promised myself that when i start school on daddy's side, i'm not being played by no snotty ass boy ever again. period!

junior

"since when did you two start dating?" i asked omari as we jogged on the field. apparently, omari and darnell are a couple now.

"while you and angelica were wherever y'all were at lunch, we got real close and then next thing you know, she my shorty now." he said, breathing heavy.

i looked around and noticed that coach wasn't around so i told omari that we should walk because it was hot as fuck. "well damn, seems like i missed a lot during these two months."

"what were y'all doing anyway?" he asked me as we joined everyone by the small tap, standing in line for water.

"she was helping me with some shit for english." i lied, i didn't want people knowing i was doing poetry heavy like that.

"aight." he nodded, "there they go." he pointed at angelica and darnell stretching with the rest of the girls under the tree.

omari called them over and i watched as they talked amongst themselves before they called us over. "come on man, line long as hell anyway." he nudged me.

when we made it too them omari snaked his hands around darnell's waist and kissed her. "why y'all ain't come when we called you?"

"you the one that wanted to talk to us, you had to come to us and don't kiss me right now, i'm sweaty." she pushed him.

"i like when you sweaty. i know what you'll look like after i blow yo back out." he laughed as she slapped his chest.

"hey." angelica smiled at me softly.

"wassup. you cash that cheque yet?" i asked as we started walking around. clearly our fat ass coach wasn't coming anytime soon.

"yeah, i'm so grateful." she smiled, pushing some of her hair out her face.

"you should wear your natural hair out more," i told her, "i like it." i nodded.

she laughed softly, "although i don't do my hair to impress you, i'll take that into consideration."

"you should." i stopped and looked at how far we had walked. "you free this weekend? i was thinking that...."

"baby, there you are!" i got cut off by kenya grabbing onto my arm, "i was just telling portia and 'em how much you love me." she smiled at me, slightly bending at her knees as her friends stood behind her.

"you love me don't you?" she pouted.

"yeah." i said absentmindedly, looking down at her.

"see, i told y'all. nobody can come in between us." she glared at angelica, who was burning holes into the both of us, making me uncomfortable.

"come baby, let's go sit under the tree, it's hot and i don't want to burn." she pulled me away from angelica.

i looked back at her and saw her staring back at me, making me feel bad but also uncomfortable like she was silently casting a spell on me.

after gym, i waited for angelica outside the girls' locker room. "hey, listen...." i said as soon as she stormed out but got cut off.

"i'm busy this weekend, actually i'm busy all the time, maybe you can ask kenya whatever you were going to ask me." she spat, anger flashing in her eyes.

"come on now," i grabbed her wrist, stopping her, "it's not like that angelica, do i got love got her? fo'sho but i'm not in love with her." i explained.

"i don't even know why i'm mad," she laughed, "i guess poetry and a few kisses isn't enough. i get it, you're heat," she got out my grip, "i'll get the fuck back." she said before walking off.

"no, no, no, angelica listen!" i jogged up to her but was stopped by kenya wrapping her arms around me and looking up into my eyes.

"what's wrong bae? that bitch get in your face because i won't hesitate to smack her in her ugly ass face."

"can you like chill the fuck out?" i pushed her off me and walked to my biology class, pissed the fuck off.

a/n: i'm thinking of  putting in the other characters' pov, maybe angelica or cleo. i'm thinking of doing one of omari because i have an idea for his character but i'm not sure, maybe.

-angel👴🏾