Absent-Minded Kisses - Bucky Barnes

a/n: Smut. Filling 2 requests. first is sleepy early morning kisses, second is the prompts in bold. thewalkingdead2303 and unicornstailfeather

***

It was so early. So, so early. You weren't even certain why you were up other than you didn't like your best friends heading out on mission without you there to say goodbye. That, and you knew neither of them would bother to eat if you didn't feed them. Which is how you ended up at a table with Bucky and Steve watching them eat in silence while you sipped at your coffee.

You noticed that for once, they both seemed to be just as exhausted as you. Normally, they were bright-eyed and making fun of you for lagging behind. Not that they'd do that when you got up oh-god-it's-early just to feed them.

Steve leaned back in his seat with a sigh. "Thanks for feeding us. Remember, we're going dark as soon as we leave the tower. You won't hear from us unless there's a problem until we're on our way back."

You nodded in acknowledgement. You didn't like it, but you understood.

Steve stood and finished off his coffee. He put the mug down and glanced at Bucky. "We've got to go, Buck." He left without waiting for a response, patting your shoulder on the way by.

Bucky nodded as he finished shoveling his eggs into his mouth. He washed them down with his coffee then stood. He smiled down at you. "Thanks for taking care of us, doll."

You returned the smile. "It's not a problem, Bucky. Be careful."

He braced one hand on the back of your chair and the other on the table as he leaned over you. "Always am, sweetheart."

"Buck, come on!" Steve hollered from down the hall, making you laugh. It was like this every mission.

Bucky shook his head with a roll of his eyes. Leaning forward, he pressed a firm but swift kiss to your lips before hurrying after his best friend. "See you in a week," he yelled over his shoulder as he went.

You hadn't moved since Bucky's lips had left yours. That wasn't the kind of relationship you two had. You were friends. That's it. Not that you hadn't wished for more on occasion, but you'd never dare make a move. But he'd kissed you. Kissed you like it was nothing. You took a deep breath. It probably was nothing to him. Just a tired thank you. An absent-minded gesture.

You ran a hand down your tired face as you stood to clear away the plates. "Damnit, Barnes," you muttered to yourself as you over thought every interaction the two of you had ever had.

***

"You okay?" Steve asked as he kicked the side of Bucky's foot.

The brunet's head jerked up, his brow furrowed. "I feel like I forgot something important, but I can't think of what it might be."

Steve shrugged. "It can't be that important then. Quit stressing."

Bucky nodded absently, his mind running over everything he'd done as he prepared to leave that morning. Suddenly, he froze and bolted upright. "Oh no. Shit."

"What?" Steve asked, his friend's tension affecting his own stance.

Bucky simply stared at him with wide eyes. "Oh God, Steve. What did I do?"

"I don't know, Bucky, what did you do?" Cap asked, feeling slightly amused.

"I kissed Y/N."

His brow lifted in surprise. When did this happen? And why did it take Buck so long to remember? What the hell happened after he left the table? "You did?"