Worth It - Bucky Barnes

A/N: I'm back and posting again. Enjoy.

***

"Hey, punk," Bucky said as he stepped out of the house to find Steve sitting by himself.

The blond gave his friend a cockeyed grin as he took the cold beer he's offered and slid over so Buck had somewhere to sit. They clinked the top of their bottles together. "Cheers," Steve said then took a long swallow.

Bucky followed suit. The two of them sat quietly, just enjoying each other's company. "I used to think she was nuts you know."

Steve glanced at his friend and Buck gestured to the area around them. "Stark offered to let her live with the rest of us. She wouldn't have had any bills to worry about, but she insisted on living here. I didn't understand at first, but I'm glad she kept the house now," Bucky said.

Cap nodded. Y/N was the newest member of the team, but everyone had instantly taken to her. The feeling was mutual and she had opened her little house in the middle of the city to all of them. It was somewhere for them to take a break from tower life while staying close to home. Tonight, they were all gathered there for a team dinner. None of them would dare say no to Y/N's cooking if they could help it.

The curvy redhead from across the street waved at them with a smile as she grabbed her mail on the way to her car. Steve nudged Bucky's side with an elbow. "Maybe you just like the scenery," he suggested. That wasn't the only attractive neighbor around.

Buck huffed a laugh. "I'm pretty sure that smile wasn't for me, Rogers."

"You've always been a ladies' man, Barnes. That hasn't changed much. Trust me. I've seen the looks you get. I used to be so jealous of you when we were kids. They never looked twice at my scrawny ass."

He shook his head and sipped his beer. "Well, it's not scrawny anymore. Besides, there was no reason for you to be jealous. You're the only one between us that's ever been in love."

Steve couldn't miss the wistful, uncertain note in his best friend's voice. He turned his head and ran his eyes over Buck, taking in his red cheeks and the way he picked at the label on his bottle. Just as Steve was getting ready to say something, the front door opened and Y/N poked her head out.

"Hello, boys," she said with a grin.

Bucky straightened in his seat and smiled. "Hey, doll."

Steve's lips twitched. He turned to greet his other teammate before Buck caught his amusement and punched him. "Hey, Y/N. What's up?"

"Dinner will be ready in fifteen. Can I get you anything?"

"No. I think we're good," Steve said.

"Do you need any help?" Bucky asked.

She shook her head. "I got it. Just relax." With that she disappeared as quick as she'd came.

Steve shifted his attention back to Buck to find his friend picking at the label on the bottle again. Only now a soft smile graced his features.

"You sure I'm the only one that's been in love, Buck?" Steve asked quietly. It hadn't escaped his notice the way his best friend had slowly fallen for Y/N. The way his gaze would find her in any room and follow her until she was out of sight. The way he would go out of his way to make certain there was nothing she needed, nothing he could get for her. Or the way he always kept her in sight on missions, quick to run to her assistance if needed.

Bucky's face flamed red again as he ducked his head. His shoulders lifted as he tried to hide behind them. After a moment, Bucky glanced over and swallowed past the lump in his throat. Beyond the want in his eyes, Steve saw the true, genuine fear. "It seems like it hurts," he said in a low tone.

Of course, he would think that. The two of them had just gone to visit Peggy's grave the day before, to give Bucky the chance to pay his respects to Steve's girl. Steve's gaze became unfocused as memories ran through his mind.

***

Bucky watched Steve, waited for him to say something. But he didn't rush him. Let him have his memories. There was part of Bucky, the cowardly part, that wanted Steve to tell him that love was horrible. That Bucky shouldn't bother and that he was better on his own. That he should spare himself from the risk.

But the rest of him...Well, that was the part that watched Y/N dance in the sunlight with joy. The part that struggled to breathe when she turned a sweet smile in his direction. The part that longed to hear her laugh, that needed him to be the one to make her happy.

It was also the part that ached when she cried. That longed to hold her through the night when nightmares plagued them both. The part that needed to protect her and keep her safe.

And the thing was, as much as all of that terrified him, he wasn't certain he could walk away anymore. Even if his best friend looked at him and begged him not to fall in love. To run while he had the chance, he didn't think it was in him anymore. Y/N had intertwined herself into every aspect of his life and extricating her just might kill him.

It was several minutes later when a somber Steve turned back to look at Bucky. It was another minute before the smile covered his face. It was a sad smile, but Buck could see the hope there as well. "It's more painful than you could ever imagine, Buck. But it's worth it. It's so worth it."

Bucky's heart lightened a little with Steve's words and he returned his smile.

"You boys ready to eat?" Y/N asked as she stepped onto the porch and held the door open for them.

"Absolutely," Steve answered and moved past her into the house. Buck trailed behind and stopped in front of Y/N. He looked at her for a moment, letting his gaze run over her features.

"What?" she asked.

He shook his head and pushed his hair back from his face before leaning forward and pressing a soft kiss to her cheek. When he pulled back, he grinned at her shocked expression. "Can I take you for ice cream later, Y/N?" he asked.

Her smile lit her entire face when she grinned in response. "I would love that, Buck."

As he held the door so she could walk in before him, he couldn't help but think Steve was right. It was going to be so worth it.