Cuddle Me - Bucky Barnes

Prompt: Person A is upset. Only person B can calm them.

***

It was the strangest thing. When you were in the field or on mission, the team had seen you jump to your feet and take out two Hydra agents from a sound sleep. But when you were home, when there was no danger, you woke so damn slow. You'd shuffle out of your room and into the kitchen. Someone would slip a mug of coffee into your hand while you found someone to snuggle with. You'd wrap an arm around their waist and they'd put one around your shoulders and just let you lean into them.

Of course, you were a cuddler anyway. Always leaning against someone during movie night or sitting on the floor between someone's legs during conversations. You just had a need to be touching someone. And the funny thing was, no one seemed to mind. Even the red-headed assassin had been known to throw an arm around your shoulders and tug you into her side. And Bruce was a common cuddle buddy on movie night.

Then Bucky moved into the tower and you had to learn to curb some of your natural tendencies. After all, you didn't want to make him uncomfortable. He was already jumpy and reserved. Who knew what unexpected cuddles would do to him? When he first moved in, it wasn't hard. But the more you got to know him and spend time with him, the more you had to remind yourself to keep your distance. And if for some reason you forgot and stood a little too close, Steve was right there to remind you Bucky wasn't like everyone else. That he needed space.

You'd just returned from a week-long mission and you were exhausted despite the ten hours of sleep you'd gotten. The fatigue settled in your bones, in your brain, but if you slept any longer it would throw off your sleep schedule for days. So, you pulled on some sweats and a tank along with your slippers and made your way to the kitchen. Your arms were crossed as you walked with eyes half-open.

"Hey," Steve greeted as you came into the room. It was followed by various other acknowledgements of your presence. You hadn't seen most of the team when you came in the night before. You nodded and gave a grunt in response.

A low chuckle came from your left as someone placed a hot cup of coffee in your hand. "Ooo...thank you," you said, almost giddy. You leaned into the body closest to you and were immediately turned so you were leaning back to their front. A heavy arm looped around your waist and you closed your eyes as you let them have more of your weight.

As you took a long sip of your coffee, you realized the room was utterly quiet. You opened your eyes to find Tony looking between you and your cuddle partner. Tilting your head back, you were surprised to find Sgt. Barnes' blue eyes shining down at you. You tried to straighten, to pull away from him and his hold only tightened. He leaned down, placing his lips against your ear. "Stay."

Well, if he was happy with you there, you certainly weren't going to argue. You settled back against him with a content sigh and sipped your coffee. Everyone went back to what they'd been doing and a moment later, Steve appeared in front of you. He laid a hand on your arm and tried to pull you toward him. Bucky's hold tightened.

"Come on, sweetheart, let's let Buck finish his breakfast, huh?" Cap said and you frowned.

"She's fine where she is," Bucky said before taking a drink of his coffee. He didn't even look at Steve, just focused on his breakfast.

Steve ran his gaze between the two of you a moment longer before stepping back. "If you're sure."

"I'm sure."

And from that moment on, Bucky was your primary cuddle buddy. It had never occurred to any of you that the former Winter Soldier might need the pleasant touch of another human being as much as you did. The more time he spent with you snuggled against his side, the more relaxed he seemed to be. He was also spending more time with everyone else and less in his room.