Nice Shot - Clint Barton/Hawkeye (HYM #4)

A/N: This one is for Yavanna80 because she comments like a mad woman and it makes me happy. 

***

For approximately the tenth time that day, Clint Barton contemplated exactly how he was going to kill Fury and whatever agent had provided the intel that the Hydra facility he had infiltrated was all but empty. He was sent in on his own to see if anything had been left behind SHIELD could use. 

"Two or three agents tops, my ass," he muttered to himself as he hid behind a low wall while bullets sprayed the other side. Comms had gone down shortly after he entered the building so he couldn't even radio for help. He'd been counting rounds and when a break came, he aimed over the wall and took out the man reloading his weapon before dropping quickly back down behind his coverage. 

Staying crouched he hurried for the nearby door. He needed to get out of here and call for some backup. He sucked in a breath of fresh air as he left the dark confines of the building, but his relief was short lived. Bullets sprayed the ground around him as he dived behind a car. Pressing his back against the side, he contemplated his next move. He couldn't stay here forever.

"You're lucky I got here when I did or they would have had you," an amused voice said and he jerked his head toward the sound. 

His eyes widened as he took in the completely unfamiliar woman. Her hair was pulled back from her face and she had a gun in her hand. She was stunning. "Do I know you?" he finally managed to ask.

"Nope. I know you though. Hawkeye. You and your friends are always putting holes in my city." She leaned back to glance over the trunk of the car. She dropped back down quickly when more shots rang out. Her jaw got tight and she tilted her head in irritation before looking back to him. Her E/C eyes bore into his. "Y/N Y/L/N. Detective. Responding to another call when I heard the shots."

Clint nodded once. "Pleasure to meet you, officer. I don't suppose you had a chance to call for backup?"

"First thing I did, bird boy. Think you can manage a brief distraction?" she asked.

"Yeah, I can manage that." He pulled one of his exploding arrows and nocked it. He glanced at Y/N. "Ready?"

She nodded. "Three...two...one." On one, they both moved from their hiding spots. Clint came around the front of the car and fired the arrow. In the explosion that followed, he heard five distinct shots. His eyes widened in surprise as one of the men fell off the roof and he realized none of the others were firing.

As they returned to their previous positions, she glanced over at him. "That should take care of the shooters outside if you want to use the radio to call your own people."

***

SHIELD was already in position by the time the local PD responded. To be fair, Tony and Natasha had already been on their way after Jarvis heard Y/N's dispatch call for that address. 

The agents had locked down the area and let no one in, including the detective's colleagues. She leaned against the side of her bullet ridden car and sipped a cup of coffee someone had given her. Clint went over and leaned beside her. She glanced at him before turning her attention back to the chaos around them. 

"My chief is going to be pissed," she said. 

"About which part?" he asked, his lips twisting into a smile.

He was rewarded with a small laugh. "All of it. The car. The complete shut down of information."

Clint shrugged one shoulder. "Look at it this way. At least you won't have to fill out the paperwork."

"Detective, we're ready for you," an agent called from nearby. 

"That would be my cue." She drained her coffee and handed him the empty cup. "Maybe I'll see you around, Hawkeye."

His eyes followed her as she walked away. Maybe she would. Just maybe.