Learn to Share - Steve Rogers

A/N: Prompt is in bold

***

Circumstances and a conference you had no interest in attending had you stuck in Germany with Steve. The two of you had drawn the short straws when Fury demanded volunteers. You'd been traveling for what felt like forever but you'd finally managed to arrive at the hotel. Thank god your companion had ended up being Steve. His even temperament had kept you sane. So far.

You needed to call to check in with Fury so you sent Steve ahead of you to check into his room while you leaned against the wall outside the hotel. Until you'd screened your hotel room, you were more comfortable calling from outside. Not that you were discussing anything particularly secretive, but it was a habit you had formed years ago. You were naturally paranoid and your occupation hadn't helped.

Fury had wanted to go over some things with you and by the time you entered the hotel you were exhausted. You and Steve got along well, but there was always an unspoken tension between the two of you. An attraction that neither of you wanted to bring up perhaps. At least that's what it was on your end. You could only hope the same was true for Steve. The fear it wasn't kept you from saying anything. Steve always went out of his way to keep things strictly professional between the two of you and you did your best to do the same. Still, it was tiring.

"I'm checking into the second room under Stark," you announced when you got to the front desk.

The clerk typed on the computer for what seemed like an abnormally long time. Finally, they looked up with a frown. "I'm sorry. I do have two parties listed but only one room."

You closed your eyes and sighed. Damn it, Tony. "That's fine. Just give me another room."

"I'm afraid we are full up because of the conference. I can perhaps find you a room at another hotel?"

You resisted the urge to cry in frustration. You were so fucking tired. "That would be great. Thanks."

After more typing and a couple of phone calls, the clerk looked at you with a smile. "Good news. I found you another room. It's just the next town over."

You dropped your head on the counter and whined in distress. So tired. You were going to kill Tony. "Oh my god. Just give me my key for the room here." You lifted your head and held out a hand.

It was evident the clerk was trying not to laugh at your dramatics. You grabbed the key with another sigh and followed directions to the elevator. When you arrived at the room you knocked, not wanting to scare the shit out of Steve. Startled super soldiers did not make good roommates. Getting no response, you let yourself into the room.

You heard the shower and your face heated. Naked Steve Rogers. No, you couldn't think about naked Steve Rogers. Nothing good for your sanity laid down that path. Forcing yourself to think about anything but naked Steve Rogers, you shuffled across the small room and dropped your bag to the floor. Shimmying out of your pants, you crawled into bed in your t-shirt and underwear. Turning your back to the bathroom and a naked Steve Rogers you pulled the blankets up to your chin and sighed in relief as your eyes slipped closed.

You were moments from a blissful sleep when his deep voice dragged you from the sweet relief of slumber.

"What are you doing in my bed?" He didn't sound angry, just confused. Slightly concerned maybe.

You opened one eye to look at him. "Stark reserved one room. The only available room is the in the next town. I'm tired. You're going to have to learn to share, Captain."

His eyes ran over you and his gaze softened. "You're really wiped, aren't you, sweetheart?"

You nodded and closed your eye, snuggling back into your pillow. Steve chuckled softly but left you alone. You nearly groaned as you were pulled fully awake when he grabbed the pillows from the bed instead of just laying down.

When you opened your eyes, you found him making himself a bed on the small loveseat across from you. With a huff, you tossed the blankets back and climbed out of the bed. You strode over to the sofa and grabbed his pillows while he watched. You put them back on the bed before turning to frown at him. Pointing at his side of the bed you said, "Sleep."

His face flushed crimson and he rubbed a hand across the back of his neck. "I'm not sure that's a good idea. It's not proper I mean. I'm fine on the sofa. Really."

You crossed your arms over your chest. "Steve, honey, I love you but you are roughly the size of a barge. If anyone is going to sleep on the couch it is going to be me. As I know you won't allow that, just get in the fucking bed and settle so I can sleep. I'm tired."

His gaze narrowed and he sauntered a couple of steps closer to you. "First, I understood that reference." He should. You'd only made him watch the movie at least three times. "Second, did you just say you loved me?"

Your eyes widened. Did you? Realizing you had, you closed your eyes and groaned. This was Tony's fault. All of it. "Slip of the tongue, Cap. Just a saying."

"You also called me honey."

His voice sounded closer and you opened your eyes to find him mere inches away. Your breath hitched in surprise and desire. "Hmm. Did I? I say a lot of things when I'm tired."

He grinned. "Evidently. I like it."

You weren't sure what to say to that so you stayed quiet.

He studied you for a moment before his grin widened into a genuine smile. "I'll sleep in the bed on one condition."

Nerves coiled in your belly and you licked your lips. "What?"

"I get to hold you. Being in the same bed with you and not being able to touch you sounds like the worst kind of torture." He reached forward and grasped your wrist. His thumb rubbed back and forth along your skin making your nerves spark beneath his touch.

Realizing you hadn't responded you cleared your throat. "I think I can live with that."

He took your hand in his and linked your fingers together. Closing the little distance remaining between you, he pressed his lips to yours in a soft, sweet kiss. "Get back in bed, sweetheart. You're exhausted."

You did as ordered and he crawled in behind you, immediately wrapping his arms around you and pulling you into him so you were pressed his front to your back. As you settled into his warm embrace, you hummed in contentment. "I could get used to this."

That low chuckle of his rumbled through him. "Yeah. I think I could learn to share. But only with you." Soft kisses fluttered against the back of your head as you drifted away.