Soft - Bucky Barnes

Bucky woke slowly, the sheet tangled around his legs but the blanket pulled up to his chin. You'd obviously made sure he was covered when you got out of the bed as the blankets were just as likely to end up on the floor when he was left to his own devices. His gaze went immediately to the corner that housed your favorite chair.

And there you were. Curled up with a book, your legs tucked underneath you and a blanket across your lap. Your hair was still sleep tousled and you'd put on your favorite pajamas. They were his favorite too if he was honest. He didn't know what the material was but it was so soft it brought a smile to his lips every time he touched it. You loved them because they were warm, so warm you actually didn't complain at all about being cold when you wore them. And you were always cold. Especially in the compound.

You were engrossed in your reading and weren't even aware that he had woken yet. He took the opportunity to watch you as he seldom had a chance. You were always moving. Running from one task to another. Morning light streaming through the window offered the only light in the room. The hazy illumination framed you, looking like a halo. The thought made him smile. You were his angel maybe, but otherwise he was pretty sure you didn't qualify.

As he ran his eyes over you only one word came to mind. Soft. And I wasn't your pajamas or your blanket or even the light that brought it to mind. It was you. It was the way you spoke to him. It was the way you looked at him. They way you touched him.

"Y/N." His voice was still rough with sleep.

You glanced up from your book, brows lifted. And there it was. That look. Love filled your eyes as you realized he was watching you and your lips curled into a smile. You marked the page in your book and set it aside.

He lifted the blankets so you could crawl back under the covers with him. And crawl you did. Until you were pressed tightly against his side, your head on his shoulder and arm across his belly. He made sure the bedding covered you as he placed a kiss to the top of your head.

"Good Morning, Buck."

"Mornin'."

You giggled. He had never woken as easily as you. He pulled you more tightly against him, enjoying the way the soft fabric of your pajamas felt against his bare skin. His fingers slid under the bottom of your top to rub little circles on the skin at your waist. "I missed you," he mumbled against your hair.

"You were sleeping, baby. How could you miss me?"

"Just did. Always miss you."

You tilted your head back to look at him and he smiled at you. You laid a hand on his cheek as you stretched to kiss him. Soft kisses across his lips that he loved but longed to deepen. When you pulled away, he kissed your forehead. "I love you, Y/N."

"I love you, Bucky." And the way you said it. Soft. Like his heart was for you.