Crash into Me - James Rhodes/War Machine (HYM #2)

A/N: The second entry in the How You Meet preferences. 

Rhodey POV:

I trotted up the steps at Tony's place, flipping through the file in my hand. I hated coming here and doing this with him. Why he couldn't function like every other normal human being on the planet I had no idea. He'd only gotten worse with the whole Iron Man thing.

I raised my hand to knock when the door opened. A woman came rushing out, looking behind her as she did. "I'll see you, Tony. Behave yourself," was all she managed to get out before she plowed right into me. 

The bag she'd been carrying dropped to the ground and spilled as I lost my grip on the file. She gaped at me in surprise. She was stunning. Her H/C hair blew in the wind and her big E/C eyes stared at me. "Are you all right?" I finally found my voice to ask her. 

She nodded slowly then seemed to shake herself out of her shock. "I am so sorry." She started to scramble to grab my papers as well as the stuff from her bag. I did my best to help. "I am such a klutz."

I chuckled. "You're fine. I wasn't paying attention like I should have been either or I would have gotten out of your way." 

Once all of our stuff was picked up, she hopped to her feet and hurried down the stairs. She waved over her shoulder. "Thanks. Nice to meet you."

But we hadn't actually met. I still had no idea who she was. Undoubtedly Tony's latest conquest. The thought made me sigh, he always got the gorgeous ones. 

I knocked on the door, opening it as I did so. "Tony!" I yelled after I shut the door behind me.

"Mr. Stark is in the lab," JARVIS informed me so I headed in that direction.

I used my code to let myself into the lab and tossed the file on the table near Tony. He eyed the papers sticking out in every which direction. "What did you do to it?" he asked.

"Your girlfriend ran into me and I dropped it."

"Girlfriend?" he asked with an arched brow. Realization crossed his features. "Oh, you mean Y/N. She's not my girlfriend." He continued to fiddle with the device in his hands. 

I barely resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "Of course she's not. You don't do girlfriends. How could I forget?"

"You sound bitter, Rhodes." He smirked. "You like her or something?"

"How can I like her, I just met her?" I dodged.

"What does that have to do with anything? You either like her or you don't. I could set you up if you want," he suggested with a shrug. His phone buzzed and he frowned down at it before chuckling and setting it back on the table. 

Irritation flared through me. "No offense, Tony, but I don't need you passing along your women. I can get a date on my own."

"You could, but you don't." He crossed his arms over his chest and narrowed his eyes. "And Y/N is my cousin."

"Cousin?" Of everything I thought he might say, that hadn't even made the list. 

He nodded and went back to fiddling with the device. He pulled up his messages on his phone and slid it toward me. 

Is your friend single? He's cute. -Y/N

I grinned. "Could I maybe get her number?" 

"Sure but only because she might hurt me if I said no. She scares me."

I would have laughed if Tony didn't look so serious.