My Heroes - Steve Rogers

When you left high school, you thought the bullying and feeling like an outsider would stop. Not so much. Currently you worked as an admin in an office while you took art classes in the evening and on the occasional weekend. Your coworkers, unfortunately, liked to gossip. When you started working there, they'd been friendly enough but once they realized you had no interest in taking part in their snarky conversations, they started to exclude you. Sometimes, they were even downright rude.

That morning you wandered into the breakroom to get your coffee only to have three coworkers stop talking when you entered. Once you fixed your coffee the way you liked it, you turned to leave. They resumed whispering and laughing as you walked off.

You sighed as you sat at your desk and turned on the computer to check your email.

"Good morning," a bright voice interrupted and you turned with a smile.

Bridget leaned against the wall of your cubical as she sipped her coffee. She was the only one that ever bothered getting to know you and now the two of you were best friends both in and out of the office. She was the only one that understood what you went through with the others. Bridget shared just enough of her personal life with them that they left her alone. But you wouldn't, and couldn't, do that.

"Hey, Bridge," Tommy, one of the supervisors, said as he passed by. "Drinks at Lester's tonight. You coming?"

The corner of your friend's mouth kicked up in a smirk. "Sure. We'd love to."

His gaze darted between the two of you. He at least had the decency to look embarrassed when he said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I just remembered there's only room for ten of us and we're full up this time. Maybe next time, yeah?"

He left before you could respond and you shook your head. "You do that every time."

"They're so damn rude. I had a good mind to tell them what we were actually doing tonight."

Your face heated as you turned back to your computer. The two of you were attending a party at the Avenger's tower by invitation of your boyfriend. Bridget kept begging you to tell everyone at the office if only to shut them up, but you wouldn't do that. And she wouldn't without your permission.

"Don't worry. You know I won't say anything."

You nodded. "I do know that. I get tempted myself sometimes, though."

She put a hand on your shoulder. "Have you told Steve about any of this yet?"

"No. It would only worry him and what could he do about it anyway?" Steve Rogers was genuinely the sweetest human being on the planet. You'd been drawing in the park one day when he approached and that was that, as they say. You'd been together ever since. The only problem was, Steve wanted to fix everything and when he couldn't, he got upset. There were some things being a superhero just couldn't solve—like office politics.

"Oh good, you're here," your boss said as he stepped into your cubical. "I'm going to need you to work this weekend to get the Carlson project finished."

Bridget gave your shoulder a squeeze and went to her own desk across the aisle from yours. You didn't blame her. You'd bail ship, too, if the situation were reversed.

You clenched your teeth together to keep from saying what you really wanted and turned to face your nemesis. "Sorry, Mr. Garrett, but I can't. I have plans this weekend. Besides, I'm not even on the Carlson account."

He frowned. "I'm extremely disappointed in your attitude. You should be willing to take one for the team and step up. It's not like you have a family to go home to. I'm afraid if you don't work this weekend, I'll have to take it under serious consideration whether you are a good fit for this company or not."

Irritation flared through you. At least a third of your coworkers weren't married either but you didn't see him at any of their desks. "My private life is none of your business. If you try to use it as an excuse to force me to work again, I'll have to take it under serious consideration whether to report you to the labor board or not."

His face turned red and he stormed off without another word. You glanced at Bridget only to find her on her phone not even looking in your direction. You'd just have to wait for lunch to talk about it.

Fortunately, lunchtime came quickly. You had just shut down your computer when the front desk beeped your phone. "Yes?"

"Um...you have two v-v-visitors."

"Send them back." You frowned as you hung up not knowing who could possibly be here to see you. And since when did Margie stutter?

Suddenly, the volume in the office increased significantly. In fact, it was louder than you could ever remember hearing it.

You stood to look over the tops of the cubes. Your hand flew up to cover your mouth as your gaze came to rest on your boyfriend and Tony Stark heading in your direction. They were doing their best to be polite while they continued to move. Steve's face lit when he saw you and he walked a little bit faster.

When he reached you, his lips collided with yours and he picked you up by the waist to spin you in a circle. "There's my girl," he said louder than necessary. He was either making a point or he'd been spending too much time with Thor.

"What are you doing here?" you asked under your breath.

"Taking you to lunch, sweetheart. Why else would I be here?"

He was so full of it, but you grabbed his face in your hands and kissed him soundly. Tony cleared his throat and you smiled at him. Stepping away from Steve, you gave Tony a hug. "And what are you doing here, Stark?"

He hitched a thumb in Bridget's direction and grinned. "Taking this one to lunch."

You looked at Bridget with wide eyes, but she looked just as stunned. She shrugged and gave a little smile.

"Oh, just one more thing." Tony held up a finger and rocked back on his heels. "Get your things. Both of you."

The two of you exchanged another look then grabbed your purses and jackets.

Tony shook his head. "No. Grab all your stuff. You're coming to work for me."

Your heart skipped a beat before racing along. "Are you serious?"

He leaned toward you and looked over the top of his sunglasses. "Sweetheart, I would have had you in an office ages ago if you'd just told me what was going on. What's the point of having friends in high places if you don't take advantage of it?" His volume dropped. "And I'm extraordinarily pissed I had to hear about it from Bridget instead of you."

Your eyes shot to your friend and she smiled. "Sorry. I couldn't take it anymore. I called Steve this morning while Garrett was in your cubical."

You looked back to Steve and he nodded. Though he was still smiling, concern filled his eyes. Apparently, there was something he could do to fix it.

"Hey, could you get these two some boxes? That would be great," Tony said, interrupting your thoughts.

You turned to find Garrett gaping at the four of you. You covered your mouth as you huffed a laugh. "Sir, I quit."

"You can't quit. You're one of our best employees."

Steve narrowed his eyes at the man. "Is that why you threatened to fire her if she didn't work this weekend?"

"Besides, I find it unlikely you can compete with Stark Industries compensation plan," Tony added.

"I quit, too," Bridget said with a little wave.

Neither of you had many personal belongings at work. It only took a couple of minutes to gather the few pictures and knickknacks. Steve looped an arm around your waist to steer you out and Tony did the same with Bridget. Tony wasn't interested in her romantically as far as you knew but it was Tony so he might be. He tended to be unpredictable.

Tommy stood by the front desk watching you leave. You stopped and turned to face him. "By the way, Bridget and I aren't going to make drinks tonight. We have a previous engagement at Avenger's tower. Maybe next time?"

Bridget burst out laughing and you joined as you stepped into the sun. You put your arms around two of your favorite men and your best friend. "My heroes."