Closer - Avengers

You hadn't been an Avenger for long so you didn't know the rest of the team very well. I mean, you liked them and you thought they liked you, but you were painfully shy. Tony thought it was hilarious that you could kick ass in the field with no hesitation but you jumped whenever anyone tried to talk to you. 

Fortunately they were being patient with you and giving you the time you needed to be relaxed with them. Just yesterday you'd joined them for lunch. You hadn't said anything, but it was the first time you'd agreed to even go. You were making a concentrated effort to be more relaxed around them. It was slow going but you were making progress.

"You sure you don't want to come, y/n?" Steve asked from behind you causing you to startle. You turned to face him quickly with wide eyes and shook your head. They were all going to see some movie and you wanted to just stay at the tower. You had a plan you wanted to implement while they were gone.

Remembering your new found effort to get closer to the others you cleared your throat. "No thank you Steve. I'm not much of a movie person." Your cheeks heated when Steve grinned at you, obviously thrilled you'd spoken to him.

"All right. Call if you need anything." 

You gave him a little wave as he walked off. You waited several minutes before asking JARVIS if everyone was gone. "Indeed, Miss Y/L/N. Given the distance of the theater and the movie they have chosen to see you should have approximately 3 hours and 43 minutes before their return."

"Thank you, JARVIS. Please play my workout playlist."

"Certainly."

Music piped through the speakers as you began to clean the common areas. Tony didn't like anyone he didn't personally know in the Avengers living area so you all did most of your own cleaning. While the areas weren't dirty, they were overdue for a cleaning. You'd decided a couple of days ago to take the opportunity the next time your teammates were gone to clean everything as a thank you for them accepting you despite your shyness.

You sang and danced along with the music as you placed everyone's things that had been left laying around in front of their rooms. Once that was finished you put in a load of your laundry and began to vacuum and dust. You were pleased with your work and the only room left for you to tackle was the kitchen. 

You finished cleaning the fridge and shut the door, turning to find most of the Avengers gaping at you. Everyone except Tony, who was smirking. "I had no idea you were that kinky, Y/L/N."

Your cheeks flamed and you frowned as you tried to figure out what he was talking about. Steve's face was a deep shade of red as he gestured above his head. Finally it sunk in what song was currently playing. Closer by Nine Inch Nails. Oh God. 

"JARVIS! Music off." The room immediately went silent. Your face burned and you pressed your lips together. This was so embarrassing but the look on Steve's face was priceless. Finally, you couldn't help it and you started to laugh. "Breathe, Steve," you managed to get out between giggles. 

Tears blurred your vision as you continued to laugh. It didn't take long for the others to join in. You sat on the floor and leaned your back against the cabinet behind you as you caught your breath. You pressed your hand against your stomach to try to stave off the ache from your hysterics. 

You wiped the remnants of tears from your eyes. "Oh, I needed that."

"Steve's face, though," Bucky said, triggering another round of laughter.

Steve, who was naturally the only one not laughing, came over to you, a look of concern on his face. He looked around then squatted in front of you, lowering his voice so no one else could hear. "Y/N, that's not the music you listen to in your headphones when we're training is it?"

You nodded then dissolved into another fit of giggles at the horrified expression on his face. You slid sideways until you laid on the floor, arms wrapped tightly around your stomach. Poor Steve.