Falling - Steve Rogers Drabble

Bucky followed Steve's gaze which was trained firmly on you. A soft smile sat on his lips and it was evident his mind was somewhere else. Bucky cleared his throat. "So, when did you know?"

Steve turned to him in surprise as he noticed his presence finally. "What?"

The corner of Buck's mouth kicked up in a smirk. "When did you know you were in love with her?"

Steve's gaze found you again as he licked his lips and considered his friend's question. It could have been the first movie night after you joined the team when they all got to see your outgoing side after weeks of you being quiet and shy around them. It could have been Christmas when you knitted everyone a scarf in their favorite colors, or maybe the time you stuck up for Buck when Stark was giving him grief about being anti-social.

Or maybe it was the morning he found you sitting in the early light of day with a book in your hand. You were wearing your favorite pajamas and were so engrossed in what you were reading that you didn't even notice him enter the room. In fact, you didn't acknowledge his presence until he slid a plate of breakfast onto the table beside you. You'd looked at him in surprise before laughing nervously and turning your gaze away. You sat the book aside and pulled the plate closer as he took the seat across from you.

"Thank you, Steve." Your voice was soft and you still didn't meet his eyes.

For some reason, he really wanted you to. "So, what's your book about?" he asked in an attempt to start a conversation.

You looked up then, your gazes meeting as you excitedly explained the plot of the book you'd already read twice before. Truth be told he didn't a hear a word of what you said, too busy watching the light in your eyes and falling head over heels in love with you.