Eavesdropping - Clint Barton/Hawkeye

You had officially been an Avenger for less than two months, but you'd been a SHIELD agent for years. Tony had recently talked you into moving into the tower. You liked the convenience of being on hand but truth be told you weren't much of a people person. You weren't shy necessarily, you were just delightfully anti-social. 

Unfortunately you were also one of those people that would do anything for the friends you did have. So, when Tony begged you to come to one of his many parties you finally said yes. That was how you ended up sitting on a barstool and looking out over the crowd. Tony was slightly disgruntled that you wore jeans and a nice shirt instead of a dress but he couldn't have everything he wanted. 

Your eyes moved around the room finding the rest of your team. Thor and Cap were sitting on the sofa trying some sort of concoction Thor had brought with him from Asgard while Sam sat nearby shaking his head. Tony was making his rounds of the room, occasionally glaring at you when he realized you hadn't moved all night. Last you knew Banner was in the lab. Finally your eyes fell on Barton and Natasha on the other side of the room. They would look around the room and then go back to their conversation. 

Fortunately for you, their conversation was being held in sign language which you just happened to be fluent in. [italics indicate sign language]

It's not a good idea, Clint signed.

Natasha shook her head. You keep saying that but I don't understand why. You should be the one working with her. 

Why?  Clint looked irritated.

Because she's a climber like you and she uses that stupid crossbow thing. Bolts, arrows what's the difference?

You sat a little straighter as you realized they were talking about you. And you were greatly interested in Clint's response as you'd been wondering why he wasn't the one working with you as well. You assumed he just didn't want to. 

Clint dropped his head and pinched the bridge of his nose. He glanced around the room as he looked up and you lowered your gaze so he wouldn't catch you staring.

Because I like her. I won't be as tough on her as she needs.

Your heart stuttered a bit in your chest. He liked you? You must have misunderstood. You'd had a crush on Clint Barton since your first week at SHIELD that had only gotten worse when you went on a couple of assignments with him and Natasha. There was no way he liked you back.

They both started to look in your direction and you turned your head. You already noticed earlier that the two assassins were reflected in a large mirror on another wall. You now watched the reflected conversation as they both continued to cast glances in your direction.

 So you seriously like her? Natasha asked with a smile.

Clint nodded. 

How long?

Long enough, he signed back.

Natasha smacked him on the back of the head and you took a sip of your drink to keep them from seeing your grin. 

Ask her out already, Natasha told him. 

He shook his head. Too risky. I think she likes Tony.

Seriously? Tony? You huffed a sigh. After finishing your drink, you stood and wove your way through the crowd toward Clint and Nat. "Hello, you two," you said as you appeared in front of them. They had been busy talking to each other and hadn't noticed you until you spoke.

Nat smirked and Clint's cheeks turned red. "Hello, y/n," Natasha said.

You glanced at the floor and rubbed a hand along the back of your neck. "Um..."

"What is it, Y/n?" Clint asked. 

You looked up. I overheard your conversation, you signed.

Clint's eyes went wide and Natasha threw her head back as she laughed. She patted Clint's shoulder and walked away still laughing.

Clint sighed. "You know sign language?"

"Yep," you said, popping the p.

"Since when?" 

It was your turn to blush. You turned your gaze away so you were no longer looking in his eyes. "After our first mission together. I thought I should learn, just in case." Clint had hearing aids but there was always the possibility they would quit working. He could also read lips but sign language was easier obviously. Plus you could use it over a distance.

He placed a hand on your chin and turned you back to meet his gaze. "Why didn't you say anything?" he asked quietly.

You gave him a small smile. Because I like you too, you signed. "We weren't close. I didn't want you to think it was weird that I learned."

He grinned which made you grin in response. He leaned forward and captured your lips with his. The kiss started out soft and slow but quickly escalated. He turned the two of you and pushed you back against the wall, so his body hid you from the room. He pulled away and you opened your eyes. Your gazes locked. 

"Who had Barton and y/l/n kissing by tonight in the betting pool?" you heard Tony shout. 

You rolled your eyes and Clint flashed a sign to the room that even Tony was sure to understand.

A/N: Okay that was kind of short but I like it. Sorry for the long delay on updates. Lots of personal stuff but I'm getting a handle on that so updates should come faster. Requests are open by message or comment. :) Thanks!