Too Nice

Tsundere! Chris X Gender Neutral! Reader

Requested by: @PlebUwU 

*A/N: I've never written tsundere as a genre before, and I'm not sure how well this one is. If you find it does not fit properly, please let me know! When looking up the definition, it described it as a character who is initially hard or hostile but eventually reveals a nice, soft personality or feelings, so I went with that as best I could!* 

Chris McLean hated his new Co-Host. He didn't need a co-host, nor did he want one. He was just fine on his own. However, the producers thought maybe someone a little less...hostile would suit the show nicely as the previous season, some fans had issues with how mean Chris could be. Chris glared daggers during the commercial break at the new co-host. They were leaned against the wall talking with Chef about the current challenge. Chris watched as they turned their head, catching his glare and smiled at him. They waved, catching Chris off guard and his glare to falter slightly. They laughed before returning to the conversation with Chef.

~~~

(Y/N) had loved the Total Drama series. It had always ben a dream to work on the show, even as an intern. When they applied for the co-host position they weren't expecting to get very far, but here they were, two weeks into co-hosting Total Drama World Tour. Chris seemed to hate them, with a passion. (Y/N) and Chef assumed it was because Chris didn't want a co-host, and they shrugged it off. Not like they can help the fact he needed one. (Y/N) and Chef were discussing the challenge, and how Chris seems to make things way too dangerous for the campers. They turned their head, smiling and waving at Chris who was glaring daggers in their direction. Chris' glare dropped in confusion, and they laughed. As they returned to the conversation, they noticed Chris storming away in anger.

~~~

"Welcome back to Total Drama World Tour-" (Y/N) began before Chris cut them off.

"Currently the campers are busy-" They shrugged into the camera and watched Chris as he explained the challenge, arms crossed and an amused smile on their face. (Y/N) nodded a few times, agreeing with what Chris was saying before their camera cut.

"What are you doing?!" He grumbled, turning to his co-host.

"Agreeing with you." They replied, smiling sweetly. Chris rolled his eyes.

"Well knock it off. You're incredibly annoying." (Y/N) frowned slightly, before shrugging and smiling again.

"Mmm, no. I don't think I will." They smiled again, walking off to the screens that showed the campers.

~~~

Chris shook his head as he watched (Y/N). They were invested in the screens, reviewing the campers progress. He listened to their giggle as Sierra acted incredibly clingy with Cody. Chris felt a smile cross his lips before shaking his head.

"Stupid producers thinking I needed help." He complained to himself, crossing his arms and looking away. "HEY, NEWBIE!" He called, retuning his attention on (Y/N).

"Yes, Chris?" They asked, looking back at him.

"Get me a coffee." They frowned slightly.

"My name is (Y/N), you know that." They raised a brow and he scoffed. "But, okay. I can get you a coffee." They smiled again, walking away from Chris. Chris groaned in frustration, not liking how nice and sweet they are.

~~~

(Y/N) was laughing with some of the interns when Chris walked by. It had been a few days since he had requested coffee from them. It was now an off day, and everyone was crammed back into the plane. Chris rolled his eyes, knocking into (Y/N) on accident, causing their bowl of fruit to spill onto the floor.

"Oops. Sorry." He laughed. (Y/N) smiled and shrugged.

"It's okay, I can get more." They cleaned up the mess and tossed it into the trashcan nearby. "Do you want anything?" Chris stared confusedly at (Y/N). He was just being an absolute ass and their still being nice. He smiled.

"Yeah, another coffee. Make sure its better this time." They nodded.

"Alright. I can do that." (Y/N) smiled, walking towards the kitchen. Chris watched them walk away and the interns snickered to themselves, causing Chris to turn and glare at them before they rushed away.

~~~

Chris had spent all of three and a half weeks trying to make (Y/N) slip up and act angry. He wanted proof that (Y/N) wasn't this nice, sweet, innocent person. He hated it. The way they were always so nice to everyone. He walked up to them as they were reading a new book, snatching it from their hands.

"A romance novel?" He asked, raising a brow. They nodded, waiting patiently to get their book back. "Of course you'd be reading this. You're too annoying for someone to actually have feelings for." He scoffed. (Y/N) frowned and sighed, standing from their spot before walking away from Chris. He watched, confusedly as they left without their book. Chris glanced at the books cover and shrugged, taking it with him to his room.

~~~

Three and a half days. Chris read the entire book in three and a half days. The main characters caught his attention. He was always incredibly hostile towards his love interest and acted conceited and above everyone else. Somehow, she still had feelings for him. Slowly, he started noticing little details that made his hatred lessen every day. Chris tossed the book in (Y/N)'s lap that day.

"It was a stupid book...like I said." He crossed his arms, walking away. Of course, he noticed the small smile on their face as he left.

He moved to his room once more, sitting on his bed as he thought about (Y/N). He really did despise how sweet they were. He didn't understand how one person could be so nice all the time. He thought about their laugh, their smile and the way they crinkle their nose when they're upset. He groaned, realizing why he had such an interest in the main character.

~~~

Chris watched (Y/N) from afar as they spoke to the interns again. It was a commercial break, and he couldn't help smiling when they did. It was contagious once he got past the hatred he initially felt. He watched as (Y/N) caught him staring and blushed, before looking away. The interns poking fun at them. They swatted playfully at the shoulder of the closest intern- Jordan..? Before walking over towards Chris as the commercial break ended.

"Welcome back to Total Drama World Tour!" They said, their voice pepped and ready to go. He hid the smile as he explained the current situation the campers were in. As the camera cut, (Y/N) went to talk away and Chris cleared his throat.

"Oh! I'm sorry, did you need something?" He was silent, watching (Y/N) as they waited patiently for his reply.

"Were you blushing?" He teased. He watched as their cheeks turned pink and they nodded slowly.

"Yeah. So...coffee...?" He nodded once.

"Sure, thank you." He tensed, noticing it was the first time he said that to them. It seemed they noticed too as they froze and smiled before walking away.

~~~

Chris had caught himself on multiple occasions being nicer towards (Y/N). They seemed to have noticed it too. He sighed to himself as he made his morning coffee. It was 7 am and the campers were all still asleep. (Y/N) entered the kitchen, grabbing a mug to make their morning drink when Chris handed them a hot mug of (coffee/tea).

"Oh! Thank you." They smiled. "You know, I've noticed you've been a lot...nicer to me. Are you finally admitting it isn't so bad having a co-host?" They asked, smiling sweetly. Chris chuckled.

"I suppose it isn't too bad. But, honestly, I'm just starting to like you." Chris said. His words were confident and he watched as they froze, eyes wide and cheeks blaring red.

"W-what?" He chuckled again and shook his head.

"I said, I'm starting to like you (Y/N). I honestly hated how nice you were. It was sickening. But, I guess it's kind of growing on me." He watched as their smile slowly grew with his words. "Would you want to go on a date sometime? After the next challenge, maybe?"

"I think I'd like that." They giggled, taking a sip from their mug.