That's Not Funny

A/N: Written with co-author kittenngrievous

       (Y/n) stared at the two pink lines on the little stick in their hand. These two lines are going to change their life completely, either for better, or worse, depending on their partner Chris' reaction. They hoped it was for the better. (Y/n) glanced at the bathroom mirror, seeing the expression of nerves and excitement on their face, taking a deep breath they exhaled and went to the kitchen to find Chris making his morning coffee. The smell of the coffee that normally woke them up, made them incredibly nauseous. Placing a hand on their stomach they tried to suppress the urge to throw up.

"Hey, Chris? I have something to tell you." They said, holding the test behind their back. Chris 'hmed' in response. Taking a deep breath once more, before letting the words slip out, almost carelessly. "I'm pregnant."

"You're what? (Y/n), that's not funny." Chris said in a monotone, not looking up from the coffee he was slurping.

"Chris... I'm not joking, and I would never joke about something as important as this." Chris turns around from the coffee machine upon hearing the urgency in his partner's tone, and (Y/N) shows the positive pregnancy test to him. Realization hit Chris like a freight train, and it showed on his face after he dropped his coffee. The mug hit the island bar and tipped, spilling coffee all over the counter top. He started backing up slowly, an emotion that resembled a mixture of fear and shock evident. 

"I.... um...." he turns around, eying the door. "I just realized that there's someplace that I really need to be right now.... That...isn't here...Anywaygottagobye!!!!" He calls out as he sprints towards the door, carelessly slamming it behind him, causing the windows to rattle. (Y/N) started to tear up and fell to their knees upon hearing the door slam behind Chris, letting out heart-wrenching sobs. This was the worst possible outcome (Y/N) thought of, and here it was, happening before their own eyes. (Y/N) took some time to collect themselves before standing and cleaning up the coffee mess. They sighed, throwing the paper towels into the trash and heading upstairs to change and make some phone calls.

       A couple hours later, (Y/N) had found an OBGYN to see them. It was an initial appointment, just to check for pregnancy hormones and answer routine questions. The appointment was scheduled for the last slot that day, nearing 4:30pm. They text Chris, letting him know of the appointment.

OBGYN appointment at 4:30. Dr. Franklin Hunt. You are welcome to come. I'll meet you.

K.

(Y/N) sighed at the short reply. One Chris only does when he's avoiding conversation and placed their phone back in their pocket. Glancing at the clock on the stove, they grabbed their sweater and got ready to leave for the appointment.

       Chris met (Y/N) at the office. He had made it inside while (Y/N) was busy filling out paperwork. He sat beside them, bouncing his knee and avoiding eye contact.

"(Y/L/N)?" Chris and (Y/N) walked through the doors into the back. They took (Y/N)'s weight, height, blood pressure, blood work and then requested a urine sample. The nurse led them both to the room, and told them the doctor would be in soon. They sat in silence, (Y/N) feeling uncomfortable but still somewhat excited about the whole situation. (Y/n) had wanted to confront Chris about his sudden disappearance, but did not want to risk getting kicked out of the appointment that was only scheduled today due to a sudden cancellation. (Y/N) opened their mouth when a knock rang through the room.

"I'm Doctor Hunt, nice to meet you (Y/N) and Chris. So, it is my understanding you're here because of a positive home pregnancy test?" He questioned. (Y/N) nodded, and Chris quickly grabbed ahold of their hand. Confusing but also leaving a sense of relief in (Y/N). "I'm sorry, (Y/N) but it was a false positive. You are not pregnant." He smiled sympathetically at the couple. " We will schedule a follow up for one month, just to see how you are doing, you can schedule it on your way out, okay?" Slowly, they nodded and the doctor left. As they get into the car together, with (Y/N) resting their head on the steering wheel, a myriad of emotions running through them. After a minute of breathing and trying to process everything, (Y/N) turns to Chris, seeing disappointment evident on his face. The look on their own face resembles confusion upon seeing this, and before (Y/N) could speak, Chris breaks the silence.