Nightmares

A/N: This one focuses on the Hook, Line, and Screamer episode. Reader is gender-neutral and already in a relationship with Chris. Suggested by Kittenngrievous

(Y/N) had not been sleeping well. It had been three nights of constant nightmares- ever since that escaped killer tried to get them during the challenge. They keep reliving the moment when they left Chris to go use the restroom and running into Chef- literally.

"Oh, sorry Chef. I wasn't paying attention." The person in front of them, dressed exactly like Chef, grumbled lowly and revved the chainsaw. Their left hand was replaced with a hook, and their skin was significantly lighter than Chef's. "Y-you aren't Chef..." (Y/N) screamed and ran the opposite direction of the person, who was now currently chasing them. (Y/N) continued to run, away from the killer but also not lead them back to Chris. They ducked into the tent with the campers, Gwen and Duncan are the only ones left in the tent.

"Guys, there's a REAL killer out there!" Gwen and Duncan rolled their eyes.

"Yeah, right. You're just trying to scare us. What is Chris going to do next?" Gwen crossed her arms.

"No! I'm serious!" They turned to the camera. "CHRIS THERES A REAL PSYCHO TRYING TO KILL ME!" They yelled into the camera. Duncan chuckled and pushed her from the tent.

"You can go tell Chris you failed."

"What?! But I-" Duncan shut the tent flap and (Y/N) sighed. They turned around to see the killer once more and screamed, running the other direction. They could hear the heavy footfalls of the killer following behind them. (Y/N) ran through the trees in the woods, attempting to weave through them just enough to get the killer off their trail. The footfalls of the killer were fading, and (Y/N) glanced back to see no sign of the killer. They sighed in relief and continued to run, looking for a place to hide. Even if only temporary. They saw a camera in a tree, pointing down towards the ground. It was the last of the cameras, meaning the farthest the recording would go.

"Chris, if you see this camera, I'm running farther that direction. The psycho is still out there, and I think he's following me. Get the kids safe. Get yourself safe. I'm going to find a place to hide." Leaves crunching under footsteps began to grow louder and (Y/N) took off once more, running off the beaten path and into the tall overgrowth of the untrimmed grass and bushes. Ducking behind a tree, they slipped into a hole in the bottom of the tree, squishing themselves as tightly as possible and pulling some leaves over the hole to help hide their body parts.

A couple hours later, in hiding, (Y/N) listened to the noises outside their hiding place. It was silent minus the occasional leaf rustling across the pathways. They heard the crunching of leaves, as if someone was walking on them.

"I think they ran this direction." The voice was familiar, and a feeling of realization hit them.

"Chris!" They jumped up from their hiding spot, rushing out of the cramped, hidden hole towards the voice. He was standing there, a look of relief on his face.

"Are you okay?! I thought you were joking at first, then the killer tried to get Gwen, while Chef was with me and we couldn't find you! I was so worried." He wrapped his arms around his partner and hugged them tightly.

"I'm alright, just...shaken, I suppose." He kissed the top of their head.

"You're safe now, I'm sorry I wasn't there."

(Y/N) tossed and turned in their bed before grumbling to themselves. They sat up and turned on the bedside lamp before staring at the blank wall in front of them.

"Looks like night 3 of no sleep is official." They sighed. (Y/N) rubbed the sleep from their eyes and left the warmth of their bed, heading to the kitchen. (Y/N) had their own camper beside Chris and Chef's shared camper. It was much smaller, but it worked for them. They started to make some chamomile tea when someone knocked on their door. (Y/N) glanced at the clock hanging on the wall to the right. 2:34am

"Who could be up at this time of night? Aside from my stupid-" They cut themselves off, shaking their head and walking to the door. Pulling it open just enough to see Chris' bedhead on the other side of the door. "Chris? Is everything okay?" They stepped to the side, opening the door the rest of the way to let him in.

"I should be asking you that. It's 2:30 in the morning, why are you awake?" (Y/N) was silent, refusing to completely answer.

"I couldn't sleep...so I'm making chamomile tea. Would you like some?" As the words fell sleepily from their lips, the kettle whistled, so they removed it from the head and turned off the stove.

"Sure, and while we sit and drink our tea, you can tell me what is wrong." Knowing Chris wouldn't take no for an answer, they nodded slowly.

The two sat at the table in silence for a good while. Glancing back at the clock, (Y/N) noted that about 20 minutes had passed. They took in a sharp breath.

"I'm having nightmares." Their words started slowly, almost delicately. As if they were afraid of Chris' response. "I know it's stupid. But I just can't stop reliving that day- with the psycho killer." They wrapped their arms around themselves, trying to build a protective shield with their arms. As if to comfort their own fears. Chris nodded, refusing to speak until (Y/N) was done. "He chased me around the island, and I was hiding for I don't even know how long. I was so scared- what if he got you? Or Chef? Or one of the kids? I was terrified." Chris moved closer, wrapping his arms around (Y/N).

"It's okay to be afraid. And it's okay to have nightmares- and to talk about it. It isn't stupid to fear things, anything at all. I know we had that episode of phobia factor, but honestly all fears are real and they can be terrifying to face. You faced a real killer. You warned us, you warned the campers, and you faced him again. You are incredibly brave." Chris hugged them tightly, kissing their forehead, then their nose. He moved and gently kissed their lips, causing a small smile to grace their face.

"I know we haven't spoken about it before, but would you like me to stay tonight?"

"Please...?" (Y/N) looked at him with tired eyes and he smiled sleepily in response.

"Of course, anything for you." The two stood and went back to the bedroom where Chris slid into the bed, followed by (Y/N). He wrapped his arms around (Y/N) and they shut the light off.

"Goodnight, Chris. Thank you. I love you." They yawned and nestled into the pillow. Chris smiled a little.

"Goodnight, (Y/N). I love you, too."