Intern

**FEMALE READER**

(Y/N) sat on the boardwalk of camp, her headphones around her neck. She was listening to her favorite band, watching the waves softly crash into the boardwalk beams. She zoned out on the water, thinking back on her last few weeks at the camp. She is an older intern- over 20- compared to the other interns being 16 or 17. She finished her job earlier that afternoon, which consisted of cleaning the mess hall and cabins. Footsteps broke her from her trance, and she turned behind her.

"Hey, Tater Tot, what are you doing by yourself?" Duncan moved to sit beside her. (Y/N) rolled her eyes, a small smile on her face.

"Another nickname, Duncan?" He shrugged.

"You're short. What can I say? But you never answered my question."

"Just watching the waves, listening to some music." He moved his ear to the headphones, nodding in approval at the music coming through.

"Shouldn't you be over there?" He nudged his head towards the mess hall. She turned, noticing Chris watching the campers, leaning on the wall outside.

"Shouldn't you be making out with Courtney?" She retorted.

"I do not like Courtney, babe." She rolled her eyes again, shaking her head.

"Keep telling yourself that, Duncan. Also, don't call me babe. I'm like...7 years older than you." He laughed it off, nodding towards mess hall again.

"Seriously, though. You should talk to him." (Y/N) raised her brow.

"Nah, thanks though." She shuffled her hands in her lap, looking back at the waves below her feet. "He doesn't even know I exist except when he's giving me stuff to do for the day." Duncan scoffed.

"You just don't notice it. Look, he's looking over here right now."

"Yeah, probably trying to figure out why you're talking to his shortest and clumsiest intern." She pulled herself to her feet and Duncan stood soon after.

"No way. He is totally jealous, babe." She threw Duncan an uncomfortable glance, before turning back towards camp.

"I told you not to call me that, Duncan. He is not jealous of you talking to me. Also, it wouldn't matter anyways." They began walking back towards camp together, (Y/N) occasionally glancing back at her feet to check her footing.

"Whatever you say. I'm going to go find the guys. Might go torment some deers. See ya."

"WAIT. DUNCAN!" She ran after him, following behind as he laughed. (Y/N) tripped, nearly landing on her face. She caught herself, landing on her knees and palms instead.

"Have a nice trip?" She glanced up, about to retort sarcastically when she noticed the familiar khaki shorts taking up her line of vision. Her cheeks tinted a light pink and she quickly looked around for Duncan, seeing him well past the mess hall. She scowled.

"I uh...yeah...I'm good." She mumbled, moving to stand. (Y/N) wiped the palms of her hands on her jean shorts and bit her lip. "Sorry..." She turned to walk around Chris, heading back in the direction of Duncan.

"Hey intern- walk with me." Chris began to walk in the opposite direction, and she stumbled as she went to catch up with him. It was silent as (Y/N) kept to herself, watching her hands and feet as they walked.

"I noticed you talking to Duncan on the boardwalk." Chris broke the silence.

"Yeah, Duncan and I are neighbors back home...when he isn't in juvie." She smiled slightly.