Chapter 12:

Ethan's POV:

I just got her. And now I'm losing her. I ran to her car and saw her unconscious against the steering wheel with a bullet hole in her shoulder. Her eyes were closed but they were fluttering. I got to the car and yanked the door open.

"Open your eyes." I begged and saw her eyes flutter more but they didn't open. "Please, I need you."

Her eyes opened a little bit and I saw he smile on her face before they slid closed and her body went completely limp. I didn't dare move her so I pulled out my phone and dialed 911 as all the other racers disappeared, except the one who was shot. But he's alive.

"911 what's your emergency?" A woman asked and I knew the voice.

"Ma! It's Ethan! Get an ambulance to the old warehouse off River Drive. My girlfriend is unconscious. Bullet would to the shoulder. I don't want to move her. I'm unsure of how serious her injuries are." I said fast and pressed my fingers to crystals throat. The pulse was there but it wasn't that strong. "She still has a pulse. Not very strong but it's there."

"Ambulance is on its way, sweetie. What's her name?" She asked and I just focused my eyes on my girlfriend.

"Crystal Love. She's a freshman. 18 years old. About 4'11. Weighing no more than one twenty soaking wet." I said and brushed her hair back and saw the cut on her forehead that was bleeding down her face. She was getting so pale just as I heard sirens. "I can hear them ma. Thank you. I love you."

"Bring her by when she gets better. I want to meet the girl that my son fell for." She said and I smiled. I really did fall for this woman.

"Of course ma. I'll call later." I said and hung up just as an ambulance pulled up and a fire truck. The men got out and I moved to the side so that they could get crystal out of the car. Once they got her out and on the stretcher I ran to my truck and managed to get the car in the trailer with a firefighters help. I dropped the trailer off at my house and gunned my truck to the hospital.

I found a spot and slammed the truck into park and yanked the keys out of the ignition before jumping out and locking the doors and running for the front door. The woman at the front desk looked frightened at first then she softened and unbuttoned her shirt a little to show off what she has. Which isn't as good as crystals.

"can I help you sir?" She asked and leaned forward, giving me full view of her bra.

"Yes. My fiancée was just brought in by ambulance. Where is she? Crystal Love. 18 years old." I said and she sighs and clicked some keys and stared at the screen.

"They've got her in surgery right now. Go down the hall and sit in the waiting room to the right hand side. A doctor will come out and get you when you can see her." She said and buttoned her shirt back up. Then she whispered, "why are all the hot men taken?"

I chuckled and walked away as I pulled out my phone to text her brother.

Me: clay. Come to hospital.
Clay: why? Dude, where's my sister?
Me: in surgery. She was in an accident.
Clay: on my way!

I put the phone away and sat down in one of the chairs and leaned back, closing my eyes. Why did this have to happen? I shouldn't have let her go to that race! I knew Ricky was going to do something.

"Fuck." I groaned out loud and felt a tear roll down my cheek. The woman that I wanted to be with, is fighting for her life. And I couldn't protect her like I thought I could. What kind of man am I?

"Ethan! Where is she?" Clay asked as he came running in.

"Surgery. The doctor hasn't come out yet." I said and clay sat down heavily in the chair next to me. He looked exhausted and his eyes were red, he'd been crying. "She'll be okay. She's a fighter."

"I know she is. But how did this happen?" He asked and turned to stare me in the eyes.

"Ricky forced her to race. He basically threatened her if she didn't show up or win. But someone hit her car and she crashed, then she was shot. I didn't get to her in time to stop the man who shot her. But someone shot the man and took off before I could thank him. I called the paramedics and here we are." I said and dropped my head into my hands.

"You really care about her." Clay said and I felt him staring at me still.

"You have no idea." I whispered. "But she deserves a better man than me. I couldn't keep my promise to her. I promised to keep her safe and now she's in there fighting for her life."

"There was nothing you could have done." Clay said and put his hand on my shoulder. He was a good older brother.

"I could have stopped her. I could have made her stay at my house and decorate the spare room. We could have painted it and forgotten all about the race but she's so afraid of Ricky that she had to go." I said and looked up at Ethan with my face wet from tears. "I think I'm falling in love with your sister."

"You're a good man, Ethan. You'd be good for her. She's been through more than you can even imagine. Ricky and jake were just the tip of the iceberg. In high school she was completely different. Jake changed her. He did something and she changed who she was completely." Clay muttered and changed his focus to the worn out blue carpet with numerous stains from God knows what.

"Thank you." Was all I said as I watched a doctor come out with some blood on his coat. I shot up like a bullet and stared right at him. "Is Crystal alright?"

"She's alive. She's lost a lot of blood but we're giving her a transfusion now. But she will make a full recovery. The bullet didn't hit anything major. Thankfully. We need to keep her here for a few hours for observation. If she's in college right now, I suggest she withdraw. She won't be able to do much with her arm until the wound heals. Is there anywhere she can stay if she's living on campus?" The doctor explained and I looked at clay.

"I've got my own house. She can live with me until she's better." I said and clay nodded his head.

"Okay good. She won't be allowed to lift anything heavy for about six weeks. She needs to rest. A lot." He said and I nodded my head.

"When can we see her?" I asked.

"In about an hour. I'll come and get you guys myself." The doctor said and left. I sat back down with clay and just stared at him.

"She's alive." I said with a smile.

"She's a fighter. She wasn't going to give up that easy." Clay said and I believed him. "Don't hurt her."

"That's the last thing I would ever do. I told you, I think I might love your sister." I said and relaxed back into the chair.

"She loves you too. Even if she doesn't realize it yet. I saw it in her eyes." Clay said and my heart sped up at the thought of her loving me back. Maybe my dreams could come true. A wife and kids. A miniature wife, pregnant and barefoot in my kitchen. Every mans dream.