Chapter 15:

I pulled up in front of my parents house and sighed. I grabbed the overnight bag from my passenger seat and opened the car door. But as soon as it was closed arms were looped around my waist and I stared down at a mop of blonde hair.

"Katie. What are you doing out here?" I asked as I pulled her arms free and picked her up and put her on my hip.

"Grandma said you were coming home. Why didn't you come sooner?" She asked and I stared into grey eyes. God she looked just like him.

"I've been busy sweets. I was in he hospital for a while but now I'm all better." I said and carried her inside.

"Auntie Crystal, I missed you." She said and nuzzled into my neck. She was such a sweet little girl and loved her daddy. But Clayton didn't like seeing her. She reminded him too much of her mother.

"I missed you too baby girl. Daddy says he loves you." I said and smiled at her as I opened the front door and was assaulted by the smell of homemade stroganoff.

"Katie! Where did you run off- oh! Crystal. You're home!" My mom said as she came out of the kitchen with her apron around her waist. Her hair was all over and I heard my fathers deep chuckle from the dining room. I walked in and saw her. She hasn't changed.

"Crystal!" Ashley yelled and got up right as a murderous look got in her eyes. "What gives you the fucking right to be here?!"

"My mom called and told me to come. So back the hell off." I said to her and then looked at my mom. "If she's going to be here I'm going back home to Ethan. I hate lying to him."

"Stop being a bitch." Katie said and I bust out laughing. I fell to the floor, still cradling Katie in my arms and watched Ashley's face contort with anger.

"I swear I didn't teach her that." I said after my laughter died down.

"Of course you didn't dear. Now where's clay?" My mom said and helped me up and Katie kept her arms right around my neck.

"I don't know. Haven't talked to him." I said with a shrug and watched her eyebrows knit together in confusion.

"I thought you lived in the same dorm as him." She said and put her hands on her hips. "What's going on crystal?"

Realization hit me like a ton of bricks. "Clay was supposed to tell you what happened." I said and placed Katie on the couch. "Can we go outside and talk? Just you and I."

"Of course dear. Honey, watch the food. It'll be done shortly." She said and I followed my mother outside. We sat on the patio and she turned to look at me. "So what's going on?"

I explained everything to her. From seeing Ricky again, to my accident. She didn't seem to happy about the fact I was living with a man now, just the two of us, but she didn't say a word. When I finished telling her what was going on, she just stared at me.

"Please say something mom." I whispered and wiped the tears out of my eyes that had formed.

"I'm so sorry, Crystal." Was all she said as she got up and wrapped me in her arms, pulling me into her chest and I sobbed. Everything inside me cracked and the memory gates bursted open.

"Mom. I need to go see him." I whispered and pulled away and wiped away my tears. "Then I need to go back home and tell Ethan everything."

"You love him." She said and smiled.

"I do. I really do. And after I go visit Drake I'm going straight home and telling Ethan. He doesn't deserve to be left in the dark. But mom, what am I going to do if he rejects me after I tell him everything? I can lose him." I said and stared up into her eyes.

"If he loves you half as much as you love him, Crystal then he won't leave you. Now go visit drake and get closure." My mom said and nudged me back inside. She hugged me once more before I hugged Katie and took a picture with her for clay then I left and climbed into my car, slinging my bag into the back. Next came the hard part.

I pulled up in front of the cemetery and took a deep breath. Tears blurred my eyes and I struggled to get the courage to get out of the car. So I grabbed my phone instead and looked at the text message from Ethan.

Ethan: we need to talk when you get back.

My heart sunk and tears blurred my eyes as I typed a reply.

Me: yes we do.. See you in a couple hours.

I shoved my phone back in my purse and got out and walked on shaky legs into the deserted graveyard. Finding his stone made my heart sink and everything hit me that much harder. Why did this have to happen to him? I collapsed onto the ground in front of stone and stared at the cold marble.

Drake Elliot
Born May 14th, 1991
Died July 19th, 2013
Beloved brother, son, and fiancée. He will be missed.

I felt the tears running down my face as memories pounded my head and I finally let myself remember.

Just get out of here! Drake yelled and I watched his black hair fall into his eyes and stay there. The room was blazing hot and I struggled to breathe or move. My leg was definitely broken but I had to get out. The house was falling to pieces.

I can't leave you drake! I begged and felt the tears falling. I need you! I yelled and stared at him as he took a swing at the man that snapped my leg.

Get the fuck out of here! I love you but go! Drake yelled and then hit he guy one final time and he fell. Drake ran to me and scooped me up into his arms and I started gasping for breath as smoke replaced the precious oxygen I needed. He held me tight and jumped over fallen beams and we finally made it outside. He collapsed onto the ground and held me to his chest as sirens filled the air.

I gasped for breath and felt my head spinning. It was hard to stay focused and I dozed off, feeling myself being transferred to something and my eyes flew open and found drakes face.

Calm down baby. They're taking you to the hospital. You'll be okay. He said and then a loud gunshot filled the air. His face contorted with pain and I screamed and got off the stretcher and held Drake in my arms. I.... I love... You Crystal. He whispered.

Don't leave me, Drake! Please! I need you! I begged and sobbed as I cradled his head on my lap.

Find someone who loves you as much as I do. I'm sorry. He whispered as he groaned in pain and I watched his eyes close and his body went limp. My clothes absorbed the blood as i screamed and held him as I cried my heart out. He was only 22. He didn't deserve to die! Soon he was removed from my arms and I realized how cold I was. Drake was gone.

The memory faded as I ran my fingers over the cold marble and tears fell freely from my eyes.

"Oh Drake. I miss you." I whispered and leaned my head on the cold marble. The man I loved was gone, and all that was left was cold marble to remind him that he died because of me. "I found someone new. And I love him more than anything Drake. But I'm not sure I can be with him much longer. My heart belongs to you."

Something cold brushed over my back and I turned around and saw that no one was there. But a rose sat behind me on the grass. A white rose, which was the kind that Drake always brought me.

"Drake? Are you telling me to move on? That's its alright for me to love again?" I asked and felt another cold touch on the back of my neck and I smiled softly. "I love you Drake. But I love Ethan too. I will be back to see you again. And maybe next time I'll bring Ethan. I'd like you to meet him. It's time I go home."

I got up and walked away, wiping my tears and clutching the white rose in my hand. My throat was tight from the tears and I climbed into my vehicle and just cried for about ten minutes. Tears flowed from my eyes and I knew what I had to do. But first I had to tell Ethan about Drake.