Chapter 26:

3 months later:

The Nursery was finally finished and I looked around at my art. The room was painted just the way I wanted it and with Claytons and Ethan's help, we got the furniture put together and placed where I wanted it. Now the rest is up to me.

I grabbed my purse and jacket and walked outside and to my car. As I got into the driver seat I felt a small kick and smiled and rubbed my 5 month pregnant belly and set my purse on the passenger seat and buckled myself up.

My phone beeped and I ignored it and drove to the baby store in town and found a spot right out front. I got out and grabbed my purse and walked into the store and smiled at the woman behind the counter. She was young and pretty and ran up to me, her blonde hair bouncing.

"Hi there! can I help you with anything?" She asked and I couldn't help but smile.

"Just looking for clothes and stuff like that. We have all the furniture." I said and rubbed my belly.

"What are having?" She asked and reached her hand out and I nodded my head and she rubbed my round belly.

"Twins. Boy and girl." I said and she gasped and smiled.

"Wow! Congratulations!" She said and grabbed a cart and she pushed it while we chatted and chose tons of outfits for the babies and tons of diapers and wipes and bottles. Along with a bunch of other stuff that newborns could need. I probably had about 10 boxes of diapers now for the babies. And with twins I would need them.

"Thanks for your help." I said as she started to ring stuff up and I leaned against the counter when my back started to hurt.

"Oh it was no problem. We don't get too many customers in here right now so it's nice to have someone to chat with." She said and sighed then glanced up at me. "How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?"

"I'm 18." I said and her eyes got wide.

"My god. I'm older than you." She said and then stared at me.

"I get that a lot. My fiancée is older than me too. By four years." I said and gave her my debit card that Ethan had put money on and paid for the items then she helped me carry the items out to the car and we loaded up the trunk and backseat. "I'm melody by the way."

"Alexis." She said with a smile. "Look, I know this is forward, but I don't have many friends. Could we be friends? And like exchange numbers?"

"Of course. I'd like that a lot." I said and pulled out my phone and she programmed her number and I added mine to hers then she walked back inside and I finally checked the text message I had from Ethan.

Ethan: hey baby, I'll be home soon. Hope you have fun shopping. :) I love you baby girl.
Me: aww I am having fun shopping! I made a friend :) I'll be home soon. Love you too hubby!
Ethan: I like that ;) wifey <3

I giggled and got back in the car and drove back home to where my loving fiancée would be patiently waiting for me. As soon as I was parked Ethan was at my trunk unloading stuff and carrying it into the house. I got a couple light bags and carried them inside and up to the nursery. Four months left until our little ones were born and three months until our wedding.

As I was stacking the boxes of diapers in the closet there was a loud bang downstairs and then the sound of glass shattering. I ran into mine and Ethan's bedroom and found the extra gun that he kept and checked to make sure and tiptoed downstairs and saw blood on the floor at the base of the stairs.

I pulled out my phone and dialed 911 but didn't click call yet and carefully peeked around the corner, making sure I wasn't touching any blood and saw a blood trail leading out the back door, which was shattered and little pieces of glass were everywhere.

Now I hit call and then promptly told the operator my address and what was going on. Of course, she made me stay on the line while the police were on their way.

"Wait. Your address is where my son lives. Is Ethan there?" She asked and my heart sunk.

"I'm his fiancée. Melody. I don't know where he is and I'm afraid to go out back." I said and heard her sob quietly.

"You're the one having my grand babies and we haven't even met." She said softly just as sirens sounded outside.

"Yes. And the police are here." I said then rattled off my phone number and told her to call me later. I opened the door and police swarmed in and then disappeared out back where I heard shouting.

I followed them slowly, avoiding the blood and found Ethan in the back holding someone down on the cement. He was bleeding and so was the woman on the ground. But as soon as her eyes lifted up I saw who it was.

"Cassie? What are you doing here?" I gasped and stared at her.

"So Ethan hasn't told you huh? Katie isn't Claytons, crystal. Katie is Ethan's daughter." She said and I stared at Ethan in horror.

"You're lying." I whispered and then Cassie laughed.

"Would I really lie about this?" She asked and then Ethan let her up and placed his hand on her arm. "Ethan is my husband, crystal."

I felt my body start to shake and I heard more footsteps behind me. Hands landed on my shoulders and I knew instantly who it was by the feel of their hands.

"Cassie what are you doing here?" Clay asked just as I sunk to my knees and stared in horror at Cassie and Ethan. "Ethan, why aren't you holding crystal? She needs you."

"Cassie is my wife, Clayton. And Katie is my daughter. And I have proof." Ethan said and I felt my heart break. I got up on numb legs and went inside, grabbing my suitcases and filling them with everything I would need, then grabbing all of the baby stuff and carrying it downstairs until my car was packed full.

Once everything was there I grabbed my purse and walked back to my car and got in as Clayton yelled my name. There was one place I had left to go. Back to Martha. She would help me, wouldn't she?