Ross - A Choice

You were startled when your phone started ringing. You jumped a bit, and picked it up. It was Ross, you hesitated, but still picked it up.

“Hello.” You answered.

“Hey Liv, how’s it going?” Ross asked.

“Fine.” You said dryly, you were still a little mad at him.

“Look, I’m sorry about what happened.” He spoke into the phone.

“Yea, I am too.” You immediately hung up. You lightly tossed your phone onto the other side of the couch, and buried your face into one of the green, velvet couch pillows. You hadn’t even seen your best friend Ross in over a week. Last week you had made plans to go to see a movie like you always did. You would go to this old fashioned red-velvet walls, and gold-seats type of theatre. He would buy the tickets, and you would buy all the snacks. It was like a tradition. Lately things had changed with him, he started missing plans, and changing traditions all because he of his newest girlfriend. You were just getting fed up. Your phone started ringing again, it was Ross.

“Hello.” You answered with an exasperated sigh.

“Did you hang up on me?” Ross asked.

“Yea.” You muttered.

“Come on Liv, you can’t still be mad at me.”

“Ross I get it when you have to change our plans, you’re busy I realize that. But last week you stood me up at the movie theatre, didn’t even text me to say you weren’t coming, all because you were spending time with your girlfriend at your own house.” Ross had to change plans because of the band, or Austin, and Ally all the time. You understood that was just part of being best friends with a guy like him, but this time he didn’t cancel because of a band practice, he didn’t even cancel. He blew you off because he was with his girlfriend (who did NOT think of you fondly). It might’ve even been a little better if he had other plans with her, but no. They were just sitting on the couch watching a movie, and making out when you arrived at his house.

“I know, and I’m sorry.” Ross tried to plead with you.

“You were sorry the last time Ross, this isn’t the first time you’ve done this.”

“I know, and-” You cut him off.

“Ross I have to go.”

“Wait, I’ll make it up to you I promise. Let’s go surfing tonight.” He suggested. You pondered on the idea for a moment.

“I don’t know Ross…”

“Please, I miss hanging out with you.” He begged. You, and Ross had been growing apart lately. You knew he noticed it too, he just didn’t want to admit it. Neither of you did. Your relationship had changed a lot over the course of the year. You used to be as close as two people could get, but things changed. It started to become awkward, you talked less, and Ross got a girlfriend that wouldn’t even let him hang out with you. You sighed, and even though Ross couldn’t see you, you rolled your eyes.

“Fine.” you hesitantly agree.

“Great, I’ll see you tonight.” Ross responded, and you hung up the phone. You didn’t know what to expect from Ross anymore. Hopefully this night would be different than the rest.

**

“You’re late.” You mumbled as Ross walked down the beach towards you.

“Sorry, traffic was terrible.” Was his excuse. He sat down on the sand next to you. He was shirtless, and wearing a pair of swimming trunks while you had on a black bikini. You rolled your eyes.