Birthday Hockey

wow sigh i just used the biggest canadian stereotype there is omFg whoops so how's life up there in the igloos is there lots of maPLe syrup ??? nO ???

***

On Shawn's birthday, he seemed like he was missing being home in Toronto. He called his parents and skyped everyone, but he just seemed kind of down. So you took him to the ice skating rink to play a game of hockey.

You remember Shawn telling you how he grew up playing it, how his dad and him used to play together.

You figured it would be really fun to play it with him, and he was overjoyed. As it turns out, however, hockey is not a game for you.

You slipped and fell a billion times, as he glided around like it was the easiest thing in the world. He scored and scored and scored, while you kept trying to perceived a single goal. You couldn't even get within ten feet of the net without loosing your balance along the way.

But what frustrated you most was that Shawn wasn't even being considerate and helping you out or showing you how to do it, he was just winning.

After a while you trudge out of the rink and pull off your skates, disappointed.

"What's wrong?" Shawn calls.

"I don't want to play anymore, I suck."

He presses his lips together, furrowing his eyebrows. "Don't say that, Y/N!"

"As if it's not true?" you were frustrated now.

He drops his hockey stick to the ground and shuffles over to you, a concerned look on his face. He sits down next to you and drapes his arm around your waist.

"I'm sorry," he says, "I haven't played in so long, I just got carried away. Sometimes I forget that not everyone grew up playing it. I'm really sorry, baby."

You laugh, then realize he shouldn't be apologizing. "No, I'm sorry. This was your day, it was supposed to be for you. I didn't mean to get all upset."

He pauses before placing a hand on the back of your neck, pulling you in and planting a quick kiss on your forehead.

"Happy birthday, my love."

"It's not my birthday," you instantly acknowledge.

"Oh yeah, you're right, it's mine."

"Smart-ass."

"Woah, that's no way to talk to the birthday boy!"

You struggle to keep a straight face, your knees weak by the way he was casually joking around in front of you, his pearly whites flashing repeatedly as he tilted his head to the side.

"Will you just shut up and show me how to play this stupid game?"

"It's more than a game, it's life," he corrects you. "I'll show you how to live life."

"My God."

He grabs your hand and pulls you up, re-tying your skates for you before steadying you all the way back to the rink and showing you how to play it right.

***

WANT TO READ SHAWN FANFICTION? I HAVE ONE. I HAVE A SHAWN FIC.

ITS CALLED 'SANITY', GO READ!!