24 | she's shrouded in suspicion

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚

The only thing
she could possibly feel
is the regret
of listening to her own heart;
mind clouded with suspicion;
head filled of overbearing thoughts.

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚

Wheein feels her eyes struggling to open, an unfamiliar aroma filled the atmosphere around her that made her nose crinkle with curiosity. Her eyelids still felt heavy so she lets them remain closed, body aching yet somewhat relaxed against the comfort of some soft sheets that definitely wasn't hers. As her nose gets familiar with the smell around her𑁋the seemingly antiseptic smell and fresh fragrance of soap𑁋she stops in place when she hears a pair of voices: a woman and a man.

"Is she your daughter?"

"Ah, no, just a close family friend. I'm just here to bring her home." Wheein immediately recognises the voice of the woman; it was Hyoyeon, and hearing her voice makes Wheein relax.

"And her name is... Jung Wheein, is that correct?" A pause. "Do you happen to have a way of contacting her parents?"

There was an exceptionally long pause after that question, and it makes Wheein feel queasy inside. She still had her eyes closed, pretending to be asleep, all while rightfully knowing exactly where she was upon hearing the beeping of some monitors not that far away from her. It was quite easy to put the puzzle pieces together𑁋all from the terrible incident at her home that happened just a few hours back.

Wheein found her grandmother passed out on the floor of the bedroom, glass shards spread everywhere, and it was as if time had caught up too her way faster than it should. Everything happened way too quickly𑁋from Wheein's brief breakdown of panic, then to calling Hyoyeon and hearing the familiar sirens echo throughout the night. The sounds were all too close to her heart, like all of her memories of her mother were racing back to her at that exact moment she saw her grandmother on the floor. It overwhelmed her own heart to the point where she thought it stopped.

"No, I do not," she hears Hyoyeon say in an emotionless yet slightly hesitant tone, along with a hint of irritation. "and neither does she. Just consider me her legal guardian. The name's Kim Hyoyeon."

"But, ma'am, it says you aren't𑁋"

"I don't care what the damn thing says," Hyoyeon states angrily, before releasing a tired sigh. "Just... it's late right now, and we're all exhausted. I think it would be better to discuss things with her when she's... in a better state. Would you prefer for that?"

Wheein still didn't know what was happening, and she had the strong urge to open her eyes just to see. But she couldn't bring herself to, since once she catches a glance of the room she was in, she wasn't sure if she would be able to handle it. Her eyes painfully felt dry and her body felt as if all her energy has been drained, despite waking up from however long her nap was.

"Have a good night then, Miss Kim." the man says, and after a short exchange of awkward goodbyes, Wheein hears some loud footsteps walking away, before hearing a door shut to the utmost quiet it can possibly get.

Wheein hears another sigh from Hyoyeon, indicating that the woman was probably incredibly stressed. The girl peeks a slight eye open forwards, seeing that Hyoyeon was gathering some belongings in her purse, and for what felt like the first time, Wheein was able to catch a glance of the hospital room she was laying in for a moment. The lighting was kept dim, with a singular lamp keeping the room alive. The walls had were painted a calm beige, with the sounds of the running machines and what seemed to be the steady breathing of her grandmother right next to her. It makes her breathe a silent sigh of relief upon hearing that.