29 | she's in the arms of comfort

hi guys school's kicking my butt but that doesn't stop me from trying to write ✌️ and i'm trying to refresh my mind with whatever is happening in this book rn

also i'm totally not rewatching squid game again

i'm such a sucker for that show

also hi this chapter is long as deserved :)

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・

Maybe, just maybe
that she cannot save everyone,
that she cannot save the people
who had saved her.
Maybe, just maybe
it's all the in the way
the universe aligned.

*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・

"Wheein?" a calming voice asked, before a knock met the door. It startled Wheein a bit as the girl stirred in her sleep, but she still doesn't budge. "Wheein, honey, I sliced some mangoes. I don't want you going to bed on an empty stomach; it's not good for you."

Wheein only groaned, burying her face more into the pillow, "Too... tired, halmeoni."

It wasn't long until the door bursted open, and Wheein found herself immediately sitting up in bed with the arrival of her grandmother, who held a serious yet concerned expression on her face. Wheein knew that whatever scolding her grandmother would give her meant there was no arguing back.

But though she expected an argument, her grandmother only said, "Tell me what's wrong."

Wheein only frowned. "Nothing..."

"Aish, I've been living in this household for years, I know when something is wrong with you," her grandmother reasoned. "You're the only granddaughter I have. And I know you. Come on, you can tell me anything."

"Halmeoni..." Wheein wanted to whine, she really did, but she doesn't get herself too. Instead, she motioned for the older woman to sit down at the edge of the bed, and the girl only placed herself next to, her legs hanging off the bed. She reached over to take her grandmother's hand into hers, giving a small squeeze.

Her grandmother only waited, and Wheein had always adored her patience.

Wheein allowed her head to hang low. "I think you know what I'm already thinking about."

It took her grandmother a couple of moments to grasp at the girl's words. The older woman only sighed. "Do you know what I promised your mother? I promised I would take good care of you. I don't plan on breaking that promise anytime soon. I may be old, but I'll give every ounce of my strength. I've been watching you grow up for years, that's not stopping anytime soon."

"But what if you get really sick? And you can't move? What's going to happen if one day I'll find you on the floor unable to breathe? You don't understand, halmeoni... It's just... I don't know what to do with myself when you're gone. Where would I go? What would I do?"

Her grandmother only remained silent, because what kind of answer could she possibly give to that?

"I feel like a gigantic burden to you. You shouldn't... you shouldn't have to take care of me this much. I can take care of myself. I-I can do it."