Beginning

It was never my plan to grow up a murderer.

It was forced upon me, though I longed to be a normal princess who waved out of a carriage. I was destined to be a mere tool to be used when ending someone's life. I breathed heavily as I chased after my targets for the day. 

I ran through the woods, dodging the trees, breathing in the cool air, remembering its fresh crispness, before it became twinged with the horrible smell of blood and decaying bodies. I squinted in the dark of the night, looking for the hideout that the file I received described. Spotting the first target, I slowed down and evened out my breathing, I would have to be completely silent if I wanted to be quick. I looked down, still aware of my surroundings, and made sure to step on the soft ground so that I would make no noise. The man's brown hair glowed in front of the fire as he stood next to the other two men. No, targets. I couldn't mix it up or else it would only be worse after...after.

I advanced slowly, planning out how I would attack. The short pink dress I had to wear for the party at Aunt Marissa's kingdom earlier today left me with little space for hiding weapons, especially when I didn't know there would be any assignments until earlier today. I hadn't packed properly for an attack but I always carried a few on me. I had a dagger strapped to each of my upper thighs and two small sheathed knives in my blouse. It would have to be enough. I moved closer until I could see all three targets backs and stopped, hiding behind one of the large  tree trunks. I bunched up the dress in one hand hoping I was completely hidden. I would have to kill off the side men only then I could kill the main target. It would be the quickest way if I didn't want them to make any noise. Before I could pull out my knives to stick in their necks, I heard one of them speak.

"It was perfect. He poured me a drink and gave me his blessing! We'll get married as soon as possible." The middle one with the glowing hair exclaimed.

"Of course it was, brother, everyone loves you!" the one on the right clapped the middle man on the back and they all laughed.

My heart hammered behind my ribs. I squeezed my eyes shut, taking a deep breath. Mortified about what I was going to do. I shouldn't have listened, I then knew why my father had ordered me to kill them. They were good people, with normal lives, their only crime must have been speaking out against the King of Maldon. I pushed back the urge to hurl and slowly pulled the knives out of my blouse as the men continued their conversation.

"I'll take her far away from the king, I know he will come after me. I want to keep her safe, you both should come with me. We could finally live peacefully, without tyranny." The middle one pleaded.

"You can go, keep your family safe. Especially with my nephew on the way. Zarin and I, we have to take care of Ma'." The one on the left spoke this time.

I hated this. The longer I waited the more I would learn. One second I was taking a man away from a woman and now I was taking a father away from his son. If I waited any longer it would be sons away from their mother.

I took a deep breath and unsheathed the knives as quietly as possible. I approached the brothers holding one knife in each hand as I fixed my stance, getting ready to turn and stab the middle ones' brothers. I slowly turned and raised my arms up, my muscles tensed before I willed my arms to move, the knives spearing into the flesh of their necks. Blood gushed out in streams as I pulled the knives out and the brothers dropped to the floor clutching their necks. Blood gurgling out of their mouths as they finally died, eyes open and dead. The middle one yelped and whipped around to see who had killed his brothers. Shock must have kept him from screaming.

I looked him straight in the eye, I deserved every bit of hurt I felt and I wasn't going to shy away from my actions. The middle brother fell to the floor, crying out. He shook the bodies and cried out, but no one would hear him. At least, not for long. I slowly knelt in front of him and put my arm on his shoulder. I used my other hand to grip the knives. I dropped one to the floor and kept the arm ready.

He looked up at my touch, sneering at me, before falling short, "Princess?"

"I'm sorry." I whispered, bowing my head in respect right before bringing my arm up and plunging the knife into his chest hitting his breast bone. My hands shaking, I pulled it out and angled my knife to go up past his ribs and into his heart. He cried out and his eyes widened as looked down at the knife in his chest, he clutched the knife before he coughed up blood, struggling to breathe and collapsed. I leaned forward grimacing at the look on his face as he breathed his last few breaths and pulled out the knife and deeply slit his throat, hoping he would die quickly with no suffering. I wiped off the bloody knives on his shirt and stood, sheathing the knives and tucking them back into my blouse.

Breathing deeply, ignoring the horrid smell, I turned around and walked away. Back to where I came from. The depths of hell.