16 [new and edited]

The part of the story that this chapter held earlier was too short, so I combined it with chapter 15 and added more here! Hope you enjoy and so so so sorry for the delay. I started college and it has not been anything short of a roller coaster, pair that with writer's block, and well that's why I post so late. Sorry again!

-------------------------------------------------------------___-------------------------------------------------------------

After Sabrina left, I sat in the massive room alone, and my head spun as I was left with my spiraling thoughts. What would even happen now? Everything was all messed up and I didn't even know how half of it happened. I'm married to a guy I don't even know and I'm happy? Sad? Freaked out?

The happiness is from the thought that I am finally free from King Azaiah but something is lurking and it feels as if I am waiting for the other shoe to drop. There is no way that I will be let go that easily. Father doesn't have someone else he trusts as much as me who can be forced to do his bidding–or shall I say killing. I have no idea what he is planning but I know it must be something big for him to work under the guise of a truce.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard the humongous door creek. When I glanced up, one of the guards announced, "King Azaiah wishes to enter."

There was no question in his tone. I had no choice but to accept.

When I nodded, the door swung open immediately and I had to control my urge to yelp. Father's eyes were murderous and I resisted squirming as he marched into the room, spotless, with no sign that anything was out of ordinary, save for his eyes. He made his way closer to me quickly but I stood my ground.

"You did such a good job that he wanted to marry you right away. I should have known, you are your mothers daughter, aren't you?" He practically spit out, disgust spilling from him.

My eyes widened, what the hell was he saying? He never spoke of my mother.

His breath was rancid as he lowered his head, leveled it to mine, and emphasized, poking my hurt shoulder with a hard shove of his finger. "Your marriage to that little worm is for me. I want you reporting back to me with the inner workings of that castle, every military tactic they use, anything I can use to bring down those sons of ****es, you got that?"

I winced as he ended his little speech with the most force and gulped. My heart raced and I was sure he could hear it trying to jump out of my chest. So this was what he wanted? Me to spy on my own husband?

"I–why?" my voice hitched as I stopped myself from revealing what I truly wanted to spit out. I hate you.

"Don't act all stupid now. We were never going to win that war with the way it was going. The money is dwindling and those wimps on the battlefield were nothing against Darius's army. I needed a way to build after the destruction and more on how to defeat them. This is killing two birds with one stone, isn't it?" his tone changed from menacing to soft as he tried to convince me.

My heart clenched as guilt planted itself in my heart. Could I really decline his demand? Should I help him? For Sabrina? For Mother?

His angry eyes were pleading before they turned accusing, "Will you let our kingdom perish? This is the only way, this is your duty. Are you that selfish?!"

I flinched and realized there was truth to his words. I was being selfish, I couldn't betray my kingdom for people I had just met. I could not let him send more people to die with no strategy.

"I'll do it," the words left my mouth, and then panic seized me when I realized where we were and who was just outside those not-so-soundproof doors. The guards were Xavier's earlier, were those the same ones that were still outside? Father was not exactly being discreet with his words and not very quiet either. Treason meant death and I was now under Xavier's rule, if anyone heard anything...

Satisfaction oozed out of Father and I wanted to vomit when he said, "Good girl. But if you even think about deceiving me, remember that I have Helena and Sabrina at my disposal."

I remained silent and watched as he left, leaving me alone. Again.

I knew he was cruel, but to ruin my life for his own personal gain? If I did what he asked, I would be ruining my marriage and potential contentment in my future with huge repercussions. I would not be a choice for future marriage, no one wants sloppy seconds. But if I didn't do what he asked, I was endangering my family, my kingdom.

What was I supposed to do?