10

A/N - Sorry, I'll make this quick! I have had the worst writers block and could barely write but I wanted to write a little bit and post it. This means that this chapter will be very short but I'll come with another one soon since I've already written it to a good cliffhanger. Also HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! I've made it 172 reads! Thank you everyone!
—————————————————————————————
Recap:
"How am I supposed to know? You are the eldest. I guess that's why."

"Shhh. Want to say that any louder?" We both jump at Castell's harsh voice.

"Yes! I do. I'd rather she was crowned queen than you. She is way more competent. I fear for the future of this kingdom with you on the throne!" She retorted. Completely prepared to fight back as if Cas did not just interrupt our private conversation.

I shook my head, repressing myself from saying anything as the two argued. I brought my thoughts elsewhere and wondered if I would actually be marrying Xavier. It was no doubt he was handsome, however, hate burned between us and something was very off about this proposal. Either, our kingdom was planning it or their kingdom was planning it, and I was leaning towards us. Father wouldn't have sucked up his pride to save our citizens when he didn't care about anything but himself and his power. He was too smart and greedy to end this war when he knew that they were at a disadvantage. Even if that disadvantage was caring about their people.
—————————————————————————————-

I sighed, not knowing what I should do. Bree and Cas were still bickering when I heard the announcer's loud voice.

"Please exit the ballroom and head into the throne room as we prepare for the engagement and treaty signing!"

Excited murmurs broke out in the room as people began to bustle out, following the guide. Leaving King Darious and Xavier along with Aunt Marissa, Uncle Daniel, and our family in the room. I wondered why Xavier's mother didn't come.

I moved to Aunt Marissa and Mother's side with Sabrina while Castell went to greet King Darius and Father in the empty ballroom.

"Hello Adelaide, how are you? I have not seen you since yesterday morning?" Aunt Marissa smiled at me. Mother and her were twins. They looked very similar and were often mistaken for each other, but I recognized her with the dark blue lipstick she wore while Mother always wore an elegant almost sheer lip. Aunt Marissa and I weren't very close but we did often greet each other, if nothing else.

I smiled at her, completely used to coming up with on the spot lies, "I am well! I had a bit of a headache in the evening so I stayed in my room. How are you this morning?"

We conversed a little and dispersed, not having much to say to each other and I moved away slightly with Sabrina as the sister's discussed.

Xavier's eyes met mine from where he was standing alone across from all of us. He smiled and my eyes widened slightly when he winked before turning away and joining the other men. Sabrina nudged me and laughed quietly. I nudged her back, getting more and more annoyed at her jokes.

I scoffed at his antics, "He's doing it for you and Mother, to charm you. We barely even spoke."

Sabrina sighed, "Adelaide–" But before she could finish her comment she cut herself off. I glanced at her, confused before I realized that Father and Castell were coming towards us.

"Adelaide, I understand that this was a surprise for you. However, I want you to make your best effort in seducing him. Do you understand?"

I visibly flinched at his words but kept my face impassive. I had made the mistake of showing my disgust once, and would never do it again. I simply nodded curtly and he was satisfied. Castell, the evil brother he was, smiled sickenly at me. Obviously happy at my distaste.

King Azaiah took Queen Helena's hand and faced our guests, signaling for them to come over. Sabrina and Aunt Marissa came on either side of me and linked their arms with each of mine.

"What are you doing?"

"It is time for the betrothal."