6

I was getting impatient. I couldn't sit in this chair any longer but I couldn't move either. The maids had a death grip on my arms as they painted away. One of them worked on my hair, every few seconds or so I would feel the sharp pain of her twisting my hair and hear a few mumbled sorries. However, sometimes I thought that hurting me was fun for them. I was the daughter of horrible king Azaiah and at this moment, they had power over me. Four against one. I could surely fight them off due to my training, however, if they knew what they were doing...

"Are you all finished yet?" I said impatiently, cutting off my dark thoughts.

"Yes, my lady. We will bring the selection of gowns."

"What do you mean? Why am I wearing a gown?" We were only traveling back to Maldon. Why did I need to wear a gown? I could usually wear a simple dress and be fine. I had no idea if there were any spontaneous assignments and I needed to be prepared.

"The king has ordered it, my lady," the maid bowed her head and rushed off to collect it when I simply nodded. The other one followed her and I was left alone.

I looked in the mirror again and was surprised. My makeup was embellished lavishly. My eyelashes were longer and curled, covered in a black substance. My face was contoured and accented in glitter nicely. Lastly, my lips were a dark maroon, and my dark hair cascaded down in shiny and bouncy curls. I looked amazingly regal. My father would be so angry.

The maids wheeled in a rack full of very fancy and impossibly beautiful dresses. Before I could stand to fully admire them with a closer look, they came to sit me back down.

"What now?"

They didn't answer but instead started laying out rows and rows of jewelry and then pulled me up to stand on a platform. I had no idea when they had brought it in but then someone else wheeled in a huge mirror. It was placed in front of me.

"Your highness," The maid bowed, "Please choose a dress you wish to wear."

Excitement shot through me and I rushed forward to look through them. I chose an elegant sapphire blue gown. It had a see-through cape that draped over my bare shoulders. The bodice hugged my body and the heavy fabric of the skirt flowed out around my body. I turned toward the mirror and smiled, it was gorgeous.

I felt the soft fabric underneath my fingertips and sighed. I was happy to wear this marvelous dress even if I had no idea why this was necessary just for traveling back home. After the maids helped me choose jewelry, another girl ran in and bowed her head.

"My lady, The king has r-re-requestere-requestedd your presence." She stumbled over the words a little, no doubt in fear of my father's temper.

Taking a deep breath, I braced myself for the inevitable tantrum he would throw at my choice of clothing. I tried to remind myself that the gown wouldn't have even been on the rack if it hadn't been approved first but I was still terrified. I loved this dress, I would not change it. It was too late anyway.

I stepped off the platform and fixed my stance, making sure I looked confident and sure of myself. I had been faking this for years so it came easily. I was being led down the stairs when I heard someone call out.

"Your highness!" I halted to a stop. I was a bit surprised at her boldness however I think the maids were a little bit more comfortable being around me after spending the last few hours with me. "The crown. I was told you were to wear this crown!"

She finally caught up to us and I was shocked at the case she held in her arms.

This wasn't just any tiara. It was a crown from Queen Helena's private collection. It was the first crown she wore after being claimed, queen. It was sacred.

"I cannot wear this!" I hissed at her, not wanting anyone to hear so she wouldn't be reprimanded.

"Yes, Adelaide, you can."

I gasped at the voice and turned...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N - Sorry for another short chapter! 

I can't wait for the next chapter, can you? Also, do you like it better when I add the author's notes or leave them out?

Okay, bye

Laeba