9

"Don't worry, Castell. I will do as I am told," I was confident that there was something behind this. Something that the tyrant king was planning.

He scoffed, "Of course, you will. You must be dying to marry Prince Xavier, aren't you?" he provoked, but then the scowl on his face turned into a smirk.

I made to protest but a low voice beat me to it, "I'm sure she is, however, I would like to speak to my soon-to-be fiance, in private."

I shivered as his body brushed against the thin fabric covering my upper back and his breath hit the back of my ear.

I cursed Cas in my head as I watched him happily walk away and almost groaned when I saw Sabrina's wink before she too, turned away to speak to mother. I took in a breath and slowly turned to him.

"Finally, I was starting to think that you would stay turned away from me all night." he smiled. Seemingly polite, however, in his beautiful gray eyes I saw hatred burning for me. I reciprocated it and stayed cool, despite my annoyance. I hid the flash of hurt I felt at his hate but couldn't blame him when I felt the same for him. So many people had died in this war, and his men were to blame for their deaths.

"Well, I couldn't keep you waiting for long, now could I?" He stepped closer to me, his mocking smile growing at my response.

"I'd hope so." He came closer and I could almost feel his breath on me.

We glared at one another before our respective father's joined. I made room between us and smiled at King Darius.

Slightly curtsying in respect, "King Darius, It's nice to finally meet you and your son. My father and I welcome you warmly. I hope to see a prosperous relationship grow." I turned on my ambassador charm.

"Yes, when I heard that the treaty had been your idea, I was surprised. However, I hope you will be a good wife to my son and an even better future queen to my kingdom." He smiled.

I was surprised by his demeanor, he wasn't anything like my father had described. Or maybe it was all an act.

"My father gives me too much credit. I assure you this was a mutual and very thought out decision. Peace is what really matters."

My father took the reins, clearly bothered by the attention I was receiving and no matter how cruel he really was, his acting was spot on. "Let's hope the kids can get along and follow our footsteps!"

"Ah, the one's where you killed millions of people?" Xavier's bitter voice cut out. I looked up at him to see a cold look. His eyes emanated power and hate radiated off him in waves.

My father's smile wavered as Xavier's hate pierced through his act.

"Xavier, my boy, has had a bit of a bad day," King Darius sent Xavier a cautious look and laughed nervously, "you know how these lads get. All grumpy when they lose a deer!"

Xavier's eyes narrowed a bit but then he smiled. Seemingly controlling his anger. His pure hatred created a thick tension and I stepped away from the three tall testosterone filled men and joined my sister.

I took a deep breath and pushed my concerns to the back of my head, "Hey,"

"Hi-ighh!" She said, playfully, stretching out the word.

I rolled my eyes and smiled, happy to be with Sabrina. Her carefree life had once caused envy to boil within me, but now it was refreshing to see and be around. It was like a break from all the chaos in my life.

"How was your steamy talk with Mr. Gorgeous?"

"His name is Xavier, and it wasn't steamy," I sighed. Sometimes, her jokes could be ridiculous.

"Not steamy, my a–" she altered her sentence at my stern look, "bottom."

I laughed, "What are you talking about? Hey, did you know about this?" My laughter was cut off at this question and I was fully serious as I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Mhmm,"

I opened my mouth in shock and hissed, "Why didn't you tell me? I was completely bombarded just then! And why do I have to marry him?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, why did father choose me to do this? Why not you? And doesn't Xavier have a sister? Why aren't she and Castell getting married instead?" I list out all of the alternative ways this situation could have happened and she just shrugs.

"How am I supposed to know? You are the eldest. I guess that's why."

"Shhh. Want to say that any louder?" We both jump at Castell's harsh voice.

"Yes! I do. I'd rather she was crowned queen than you. She is way more competent. I fear for the future of this kingdom with you on the throne!" She retorted. Completely prepared to fight back as if Cas did not just interrupt our private conversation.

I shook my head, repressing myself from saying anything as the two argued. I brought my thoughts elsewhere and wondered if I would actually be marrying Xavier. It was no doubt he was handsome, however, hate burned between us and something was very off about this proposal. Either, our kingdom was planning it or their kingdom was planning it, and I was leaning towards us. My father wouldn't have sucked up his pride to save our citizens when he didn't care about anything but himself and his power. He was too smart and greedy to end this war when he knew that they were at a disadvantage. Even if that disadvantage was caring about their people