Chapter 29

There are times when I feel like my heart's trying to jump out. I feel as though I've forgotten something important. I want to remember it, really want to remember.

I was in my room, in the bathroom. I had gotten back, and just finished showering. I stared into the very presence of the mirror, fogged from the steam. Using my finger, I traced, who am I? I know that I'm (y/n), that I'm a soldier, that those people were my friends, that I lost my memories due to the expedition and all those. But who am I? The real me.

"(Y/n)!"

It was Eren's voice.

"I-I'm still putting my clothes on."

"Oh-uh.....s-sorry, I didn't know."

"It's okay."

I wiped the mirror clean, erasing the trace I had left. And I hurriedly put my clothes on. After I'm all set, I opened the door of the bathroom, and my room.

"What is it, Eren?"

"Nothing much...just wanted to chat with you."

"Oh okay."

We took a walk down the hall. It was quiet for a while, but them we both spoke up at the same time.

"I-It's okay, you can talk first," I said.

"No, you go first," Eren told me.

"Okay then, um, can you tell me more about myself?"

And so Eren told me about the days when we were in the trainee camps. How I trained so hard the whole 2 years. About our times together with the rest. All to the part of the expedition.

"What about my family?"

"I don't know anything about them. Since you've never mentioned about it."

"Why?"

"I don't know, you just seemed very distant towards it, I guess."

I thought about it for a moment. Maybe....I don't have one, I thought. No, I pushed that thought out of my head. I shouldn't think things like this.

"Thanks. And what were you trying to say, Eren?"

"Well it's nothing much, just wanted to ask if you had fun today."

"I did. It was really fun."

"Hey (y/n), why do you want to remember your memories so much?"

"I'm not sure, but maybe it's because I want to know what kind of a person I was, what kind of life I had, and who were my family, stuff like that. It feels....pretty lonely, to wake up one day and find myself in a place I don't know of, with people I don't know of, and with absolutely no memories. But I know I know you guys, but that's when I'm still the me before. Somehow, I just feel uneasy, for not knowing anything about my past."

"I get what you mean."

We walked for a while, with the awkward silence closing in on us. But then I broke it with a question.

"Eren, be honest with me, you prefer the me before, right?"

Eren stared at me, astonished. His mouth opened and closed, hesitating on what to answer. Before he could answer me, I put a finger towards his mouth, a signal for him to not say it. He listened and stared at me.

"You don't need to tell me, I already got the answer."

I then put my hand down and started walking the opposite direction. Eren stood there, puzzled.

"Eren, I'll definitely remember, and thanks for spending your time with me. Later."

And I walked back to my room.