Chapter 20

– Harry & Monica –

     Bubbling excitement could end in two ways: meeting expectations or being let down. This feeling could be very prominent on first dates – whether it's your very first date ever or a first date with someone new – where there is a jittery feeling present and of course the hope of meeting expectations. And this feeling could be present days or weeks before the day, but for Monica and Harry, it was happening now.

     Harry's fingers tapped the wheel as he hummed to an Ed Sheeran song – Monica told him she was a big fan and so he pulled out his album, starting with '+' – as Monica stared out the window, mouthing the words. There was a comfortable silence, one that made both of their nerves die down. Because it's a good sign when there can be a comfortable silence.

     Once Lego House came to an end, Monica reached over and turned the volume down. This caught Harry's attention, making him take a quick glance at her from the corner of his eye. "Are you willing to tell me now?"

     "Now look who's the cliché from fanfictions," Harry teased with a smirk. "I told you it was a surprise."

     "How would you know that the girl would ask despite being told it was a surprise?" Monica questioned before her eyes widened. "Harry Edward Styles don't tell me you've read fanfiction!"

     "Liam told me to!" He says in defense. "He was telling me how the fans are so sweet and that they have true talents and then one day I was absolutely bored so I just... read some."

     "Oh, God. This is gold," she mutters with a laugh. Harry frowns and uses his left hand to poke her side.

     "Oi, don't make fun of me."

     "It's kind of hard not to."

     "Monica."

     "Okay, I'll stop."

     A second passed.

     "Did you read smut?"

     "Dear, God."

     After Monica finished teasing him the album was over, so she ejected it and placed it back into its case before reaching for Ed's second album that was in the glove compartment but Harry stopped her and suggested some silence (music wise).

     "So, how's it going with the studio?" He asked when he stopped at a red light, so he could take in her expression – she seemed sad yet relieved. It was the same facial express she had when she told him that it was being foreclosed.

     "I haven't done much work on it, packing wise, because it's just hard right now." She sighs. "But at the same time, it's like a weight off my shoulders. I mean, this studio reminds me so much of my Mum and Matt... it feels good letting it go. I think it'll be good."

     "But it's your business," Harry argues with a frown when the light turns green. The destination was up ahead. "It has me worried. You need to provide for yourself and Jake and how can you do that without a job? Monica, please let me help yo –"

     She places her hand on his knee. He glances down at it before looking back at the road. "Finding another job won't be too difficult, Harry. I appreciate that you want to help but I can't accept it."

     Harry sighs but nods anyways, placing his hand on top of hers before pulling into the car lot. Monica immediately looks out the window and smiles. She turns back to Harry who was now fiddling with her fingers, a smile on his own lips when he meets her eyes and notices that her smile had revealed a cute dimple.